advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Day 9 Post Discectomy help!

My husband has just had discectomy surgery on his L4 - L5 disc which he hurt at work shoveling concrete. He hasn't had any instant relief as I think he was expecting. He is still having pain in his leg. I have read that due to the nerve being compressed for so long it can take a while for the nerve to heal and you can get sort of phantom pains while it takes time to heal. Just after some success stories where pain has slowly gone even though the pain is staying the same at the moment.

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,209
    edited 07/18/2019 - 2:04 PM
  • I had the same discouraging feeling after not having immediate relief following my L5/S1 discectomy, but I'm happy to say that I made a lot of improvements in the weeks following my surgery. 

Of course, everyone heals differently. Its difficult to predict with certainty how ones body will react to the procedure, and there are unfortunately a lot of variables that will determine the rate and the extent of healing for any one individual. For example, I had the advantage of young age on my side. Things like age, weight, and comorbidities can all factor into success rate and recovery time. Also, did they give any steroid injections post op? I was given two epidural injections after surgery, which probably helped a lot with the pain in the weeks following surgery.

My biggest piece of advice: TAKE IT EASY. Be patient. Let the body heal and don't push yourself too soon. I got really into fitness because my pain was gone and o felt great. But I ended up pushing myself too hard and now I'm dealing with recurrent herniation that is larger than my first.  

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.