advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Recovery time after fusion

I know this question could have tons of different answers but I need a two level fusion and I’m really wondering how long the recovery is in terms of being able to return to a desk job.  Any input is appreciated. 

Just for a little background I am 28 years old and the fusion would be L4 to L5 and L5 to S1. I am overweight. My surgeon said he will agree to do the surgery when I weigh 250 pounds. Of course I’d like to lose more since I just had weight-loss surgery but it all depends on if I can keep the pain under control to gain more time to lose more weight. 

25 years old: Herniated L4-L5, L5-S1 December 2008. L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2010. L5-S1 microdiscectomy March 2012. Redo L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2013. Redo microdiscectomy Oct 2015.
advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,238
    edited 07/18/2019 - 2:12 PM

Spiney

You will get a lot of different answers to your question, after my first fusion I went back to work part time at 4 weeks, I ran a automotive service facility, after my second fusion it was 9 weeks, but that surgery was basically 1 year after the first, and I think that really slowed me down, my surgeon says 4-6 weeks, but everybody is different, good luck with the weight loss, that will really help with the surgery and recovery.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• I am 9 weeks post fusion and have another 3 weeks before I return to work. All my residual pain is in my trapezoid muscles and I am really worried about computer/desk based work. I think setting up your chair/work station so it is comfortable will be important. I struggle to read for very long because of the position of my head/neck. I have a 13 level fusion though,

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.