advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Genetic testing for pain medication

I am having the genetic testing for pain medication. Has anyone else had this done. Also did you feel that it did work? Take care   And God bless 

advertisement

Comments

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 491

I forgot to mention that it also covers antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,711
    edited 07/31/2019 - 11:50 AM

Mike, it's about time!! Here is an article I wrote about it 2 yrs. ago. 

• advertisement
  • boo9989bboo9989 Posts: 461
    edited 07/31/2019 - 11:50 AM

memerainbolt

Thank you for posting that I had never read your post. I'd like to also be tested . May I print it off to take with me to my PMS next appointment? Just making sure you wouldn't mind.

• Mike

...just make sure that your insurance covers it.  I'm with Aetna, and a couple of years ago they viewed it as experimental (I don't know about now).  My doctor did it then, but they (or the CA lab) paid for it.  I think that it was a new lab trying to get a foothold, and they may have fronted it.  My doctor asked me if I was interested at no charge to me...said the lab would accept whatever payment the insurance made even if nothing...so I did it...came back that what I was taking was not an issue

checking the EOB that was sent to me, it showed that my insurance had denied it...bill was over $2000    

good luck...hope you get the needed info

• Wondering if most doctors know this?! Do either of you know where they send the swab to have it tested? I want to ask my PM doctor the next time I see her. 

• advertisement

It says if you have traditional Medicare which I have or Medicaid your cost is zero dollars. That is posted right on the pamphlet

• Yay, that's what I have. I'll be finding a doctor who will do it if mine won't. 

From talking about this before, a lot of members stated their doctors did not know anything about it. I find that hard to believe.

Anyone can print anything I have even written. I do it for the member's benefit

• Thank you memerainbolt . I really want this done to me also. It would be nice to know what works at what strength. 

• I had the test done as well.  I kept telling my doctor the meds he was prescribing wasn't working.  He told me depending on how the test turned out would determine how my treatment would go.  The test was nothing more than a mouth swab for me.  At my next appointment, the nurse practitioner said my DNA showed that hydro and oxycodone does not metabolize in my system.  I was basically urinating the medicine out.  So, when I said it wasn't working...it wasn't working.  Thankfully oxymorphone and methadone do work for me.  To this day, there are still a lot of doctors that do not know this test is available.   

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 332

Anyone the "official" medical term for the tests?

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 332

Nevermind, I read Sandra's initial posting on the topic and the term is there. Thanks again Sandra!!!

It is called Personalized Gene Dug Interaction test.
    The doctor sends a list of all (make sure he sends everything you're on) your meds you are currently on and the test comes back stating what you should be taking and why.

• I was looking up the actual test name they ran and I found the following names;

* - CYP2C19

*- CYP2D6

Apparently, these are the sequence tests they run.  Keep in mind, I am not a doctor and cannot say exactly how these tests work!  But, they can be a game changer for you if your meds aren't working and you need to find out if it's just you or the medication not working.  It literally changed how my doctor treated my pain and assured him that I wasn't a drug seeker.

Drug seekers have a behavior where they tell doctors that only certain medications work for them and they are usually the strongest pain meds on the market.  When a patient goes to the ER and knows more about a particular pain medication than a doctor, but then can't remember their legal name, there is a good chance they are a seeker.  BUT, being able to go in and tell the doctor what test you had done and bring a copy of the results with you will typically get you an appropriate medication needed to control your pain. 

Keith

Keith

After I got the results of my test, I took copies to my hospital to put in my records. Anytime I have a procedure done, I always bring a copy, just in case. I have a folder at home with a copy of that test, my last MRI results and CD,a list of all medications and a list of all my diagnosis. I always keep it updated. If I have to go to the ER, my husband knows to grab that folder.
    Sometimes we have to do things ourselves to show we are chronic pain patients, not addicts.

Well I had the swabs done  I should get the diagnosis in a few weeks.  I was surprised that Medicare covers it.  I just hope that it doesn’t come back with something that I am afraid to take . Keith one of the drugs would be methadone or Suboxone.Also  I have been on extended release Oxycotin and morphine and they just don’t seem to work. I’m sure the doctor will work with me. Thanks for all the information take care and God bless 

• @Mikethepike

Hey that good to know Medicare paid for it..do you have drug coverage threw them or was it deemed more like a medical test ? Just wondering 

I dont have drug coverage threw Medicare my secondary insurance is threw a retirement plan which is what covers my prescription. 

Now I feel more confident I could have it done .

• @memerainbolt 

Now do they test just the medications your currently on or do they test your DNA for a spectrum of meds and see how they react ?..

• Ok just saw Keith answered that question for me ..they test for multiple different ones that's good..though I've been on the fentanyl patch for years I'm ready to change now that it's not working.

• Sandra
    That is excellent information for all of us and it floors me that all doctors don't know about it.

Mikethepike 
    Seriously Medicare will pay for it that just unbelievable. You would think they would be hot on it to have doctors use that test with all the medication they throw at a person to avoid using Pain medication.

They have no idea how much damage all the tests, injections, medications do to a person. Who knows how much of that could of been avoided. It would be a cost savings for the insurance company's to me anyway. It would for sure the heck be a life saver for so many of us. Think about it if at first they did that test and who knows maybe you could be on such a low dose plus if needing a change they would know what to use. Not use us a ginny pigs. My son calls me (it is humor between us) the chemical waste dump.

I asked my PC's nurse about it a while back and she said "you can get it done for $ 385." I asked her why they had not told me it was available or existed? Well as always " we didn't think about it i guess". That is another subject that just gripes me all doctors should be aware of that test. I agree we do need to know what is out there that is a huge factor in us getting the right treatment.
    Sherri

• @Hope3

Lol  :D sorry I have to laugh cause my sons say  I'm a toxic waste dump...sure our kids dont know eachother lol

• EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 441
    edited 05/15/2019 - 8:09 PM

Teresa, if Fentanyl isn't working anymore you may have a tough time finding something that's going to work.  Perhaps a cocktail of sorts might help, but Fentanyl is a the top of the apex for outpatient pain relief.  That being said, doctors are finding that Ketamine does have more human medicinal benefits than once thought before.  It's been used for animals for years.  That's the reason one of the street names for it is "cat valium". 

I would ask your doctor on your next visit what they may be thinking for you.  You may have to do some experimenting to get something that works most effectively.  I'll keep my fingers crossed it works out well for you!

Sandra, I do the same thing with my results!  I have a copy in "MyChart" which is the system our hospital system uses for patient records.   Im actually writing a presentation at work titled, "I stubbed my toe, Fentanyl is the only thing that will help".  You would be shocked at the number of people that come in and dictate to ER docs which meds will/won't work and when you look in their records they are well known seekers.  The issue now is, people DO know what drugs will work for them thanks to the DNA testing, so the stereotype needs to be shown the door! 

Keith

Keith

I use my patient portal to keep everything updated. When the subject comes up that nothing is working anymore, to me, that is where this test is invaluable. 

• Keith

I kind of figure all my pain issues might stem from the fact of the high dose for so many years. When I was tapering down the starting dose was 125 mccg every 48 hrs. It was when it hit around 50 mccg it went downhill..Been on 12 mccg every 72hrs over a year now .

I'm not 100% unhappy I was tapered as I did always worry about any future surgery and pain control post op on such high doses. So atleast with this upcoming next one my baseline will be lower. It's just been going on so long now I'm getting a tad more vocal. Also after having a bunch of bad side effects from all the toxic junk they keep tossing me. I felt like that was just adding fuel to my fire. So the thought of being able to pin point what will work for me now is a good thing.

• Where is the article link?  I really need to get this testing done, especially since I have hEDS which tends to cause anesthesia issues.

Pashta

I could not find the full article I wrote on this testing This is a test your doctor can do, swab your mouth and send it off. It's called Personalized Gene Therapy Drug Interaction test. The doctor list all the meds you are on. When the results come in it will show what you should be taking, what mg and how often. Your metabolic rate has a lot to do with how drugs act on you.

My PM doctor does this testing on all of his patients. It saves money and keeps patients from being on the wrong drugs. 

Sandra

• Darn... I was going to print it and bring it in for my next appointment.  Do you know what company does the testing?  I can maybe look up the name.

There is not a particular company that does the testing. Your doctor should know what lab to send it to. Just give him the name of the test.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.