advertisement
advertisement

Strong pains after Laminectony/Discectomy

I apologize already for my English, I am Italian.

Hi everyone, I'm a 19-year-old boy who underwent discectomy and laminectony on October 15, 2018, 7 months ago. My "healing" period was long enough but at the end I already felt that the pain remained. The neurosurgeon advised me to go to an osteopath (which did not solve anything) and to proceed with an MRI. The resonance highlighted

"Reduction of lumbar lordosis physiology.

Initial signs of spondylosis.

The width of the spinal canal appears to be wide at the lower limits of the norm in disk dehydration phenomena in L5-S1.

In L4-L5 there is a wide disc protrusion with a focal posterior-paramedian prevalence Sn which determines a modest imprint on the dural sac.

In L5-S1 results of Interlaminotomy Sn with Microdiscectomy; at this level we can appreciate the presence of a modest amount of tissue that affects the lateral recess Sn and that shows enchancement after mdc ev in reaction to reactive-scarring phenomena. Cone medullar in the seat and to adjust volume and signal ".

After that I did the pain therapy, with epidurals and radiofrequencies at the facet joints, needless to say they have no effect.

I describe my pain: when I'm sitting / lying just over a few muinutes my left leg hurts, under the buttock up to the calf. When I wake up in the morning it hurts my neck, and when I stretch my arms they hurt and tingle. The most severe pain came to me after the operation and emerged when I bent my upper back and, at that moment, it hurt my leg, as if something were touching my nerve. I'm desperate and I don't know how to proceed.

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,275
    edited 07/18/2019 - 2:29 PM

Have you seen your surgeon since the MRI? If so what is your diagnosis? Your surgeon is the only one that will be able to create a treatment plan for you as you do seem to have several things going on, I am sorry that you are going through all of this, especially at such a young age, I know this will be hard, but do your best to keep a positive attitude and keep thinking that the doctor's will be able to fix this so you can get on with your life.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• thank you very much for your reply and support.  my surgeon saw the resonance and advised me to perform pain therapy that didn't work at all.  I asked him if it could depend on scar tissue, but he said no .. I have to go to him on Tuesday

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,489
    edited 07/31/2019 - 2:29 PM

Ghunz
    When you see your surgeon, make sure you explain your pain to him like you did above.

Take care and keep us posted.

• Thanks,

I spoke to the doctor who told me to do some tests to check the nerve.  he said that the pains I have in my upper back can only be a consequence of what is underneath.  he also stated that if I undergo an operation again to eliminate a possible scar, it is likely that the latter will reform itself ..so I don't know what to do if the problem is the scar causing the pain ..

• He would carry out the operation to eliminate epidural fibrosis by making a cut where I now have the scar. Are there other, less invasive methods of doing this? Furthermore, there is a reason why I always wake up with an intense neck pain and (after the operation) when I bend my upper back, my nerve under the buttock feels bad to me, in your opinion?

• advertisement
  • GhunzGGhunz Posts: 15
    edited 07/31/2019 - 2:31 PM

hi, what exercises do you talk about? If this time goes by will I remain this way for the rest of my life regardless of what I do?

• Chip, thanks for the reply. 

During this time I also went to an osteopath to do some exercises and to treat the scar, but nothing happened. Now I have to do x-rays in maximum and minimum bending and I have to check how the nerve is. The neurosurgeon has not given me much hope regarding the operation to remove the scar ... he said that at the end of the surgery he will reform himself ... is he so likely? This type of operation is necessarily done by cutting at the point where they made the cut in the last operation?

• Ghunz

I have never had surgery to specifically remove scar tissue, however it was removed in conjunction with my fusion surgeries.

My understanding is that scar tissue will form after surgery, some patients seem more likely than others to have a problem, physical therapist have ways to help with ultrasound and exercises, but once there is a problem, you will most likely need to have it removed.

Chip 

• GhunzGGhunz Posts: 15
    edited 07/31/2019 - 2:32 PM

Obviously I'm talking about epidural fibrosis, @challenger , did the fibrosis you had earlier cause you more problems after the fusion procedure?  you talked about the scars on your skin right?

• Ghunz

I have been lucky, after the last fusion I have not been bothered by it, but I do my nerve glide exercises every morning and night 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.