advertisement
advertisement

Lower back, anterior hip area

I have had 3 back surgeries, the latest L1,L2 Laminectomy due to chronic pain in my R anterior hip area from sitting. After 2 MRI's that showed Spinal Stensis again in that area. 4 months Post Op and still throbbing pain there after sitting more than 1/2 hour. They (Dr and P/T checked actuall hip area) and nothing wrong. Has anybody else ever had this issue?

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,675
    edited 07/18/2019 - 1:54 PM

Grandmazoey

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum

Learn How to Use the Forum - Take the System Tutorial

I have always had more trouble with my hips after back surgery than my back, my doctor explained to me that you change the way you walk fo awhile after surgery creating hip pain and bursitis, I have had several surgeries and sitting is always a problem, especially in a straight chair, even a recliner at times.

Chip

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,832
    edited 07/31/2019 - 1:38 PM

Grandmazoey

If it were me, I would talk to my doctor about this or other options.

Take care and keep us posted.

• advertisement
  • boo9989bboo9989 Posts: 463
    edited 07/31/2019 - 1:38 PM

I also suggest you look into possible si joint dysfunction. I hope you get some answers soon.

• I have an L1-L2 problem as well. Do you or did you get groin pain?

I was told an EMG is not helpful for the upper lumbar discs due to a lack of significant muscle innervation at T12, L1 and L2.

• Thank you all for your help. I will definetly ask for the nerve test and the SI Joint. I keep thinking it might be something other than L1 L2 issues. Will post after next Dr visit.

• advertisement
  • @L4_L5

Onething I can say for years when they kept focusing only on my lumbar I suffered from ALOT of groin discomfort . That was 1 of the worst side effects I had besides the sciatica.  My groin pain is/was coming from my si joint dysfunction. It wasnt till they started treating both the lumbar and si that I got any relief temporary. 

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/17/2019 - 7:54 AM

@boo9989 How did they diagnose SI joint dysfunction? Just curious.

• @L4_L5

They use various movements that promote certain pain responses that was the first thing they did..from there I had a si injection which gave positive response in the form of temporary relief..then I had a xray. Now most of the time si joint dysfunction isnt picked up on xrays but mine was..I also have what they called uplifting which is were my hip/pelvic is rotated and its causing my left leg and  hip to lift up. Which is causing my leg to become shorter then the right. Just totally uneven and unbalanced.

The first RFA I had was a miracle it was the first time since 2015 my nerve pain died down abit it also helped me maximize my pt..they focus alot on core muscles strengthening of my abdominal muscles. Unfortunately they also had me doing some upper body too which caused my current shoulder issues .

But on April 24th I had RFA again. And I am very unhappy this time. Pains back and in somways worse then before I had it done..This girl is on fire!!!  So my frustration continues.

But as soon as I saw you say groin pain you got my attention and my sympathy 

edited 07/31/2019 - 1:39 PM

L4_L5 

Those were my same symptoms and my PM doctor did not run any tests, we both knew what it was.
    This last flare up I had, I called him for a pack of prednisone which worked great for a little while. But at least it was relief.

• boo9989bboo9989 Posts: 463
    edited 07/31/2019 - 1:39 PM

I have basically the same as memerainbolt except my hip pain felt more like bone on bone when I would walk that's the reason they did a hip xray.

I also had/have numbness and burning in the front of the thigh toward the outside not inside...

also one of the things they look for is when your asked were does your back hurt. If you point right were the spine meet the hip it's also considered a positive sign. Like I said earlier dxing is mainly based on certain movements they have you perform and your pain response. 

Some doctors also use si joint injections to determine problems. Its considered positive if you get any relief whether 5 minutes or 5 days...mine lasted about 2 hours.

You may want to search for different stretches and si joint release techniques.  Those will also help with temporary relief. Alot of them are use to reset or in a sense pop the si joint back into alignment. Those have been very helpful to me as it help my hip and leg drop back down. I learned alot of these during 6 months of pt.

My si problem is one of the reason I prefer ice to heat. I found ice was very good for all the groin and hip/butt pain it numbed it for a longer amount of time. I tend to bring a ice pack outside when I sit cause when si pain really get ramped up everything causes it to hurt..sitting too long..standing too long ..walking ..climbing stairs. 

I know you l4_5 and me have spoke a couple times about the fact you may possibly having it. I hope they can find your cause of all your pain soon.

• Thanks for all the explanations. I’m convinced my problem is my L1-L2 herniation and not an SI issue. 

My pain is not where my spine meets the hip. I also feel better walking or standing (so long as it doesn’t involve bending over or squatting). More pain from sitting or laying in bed versus standing/walking. 

I’ll be seeing a new neurosurgeon soon since my latest MRI shows a worsening of L1-L2. Previously it was just a disc bulge or annual tear. Now it’s progressed into a herniated disc. 

I think it’s possible I still won’t be a candidate for surgery but I hope I am. 

Three years of no progress with pain is a huge bummer.  :(

• Well, I had my appointment with another Dr. and she sent to to a new PT. They think it is my SI joint. Wearing a SI joint belt and some PT. My pain now seams to be in both but cheeks. pain and burning.. anyone else hurt there and how did your SI joint get healed? 

edited 07/31/2019 - 1:40 PM

Grandmazoey

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. I have SI joint dysfunction and when it flares up I want to scream. Thurs. I will get injections and if that does not work we will try a round of Prednisone or Medrol pack for inflammation. I've used those before and they last longer than the injections for me.

Take care and keep us posted.

•    I'm glad to see your on your way hopefully.  As memerainbolt said they have si injection but they also do RFA in the si area too which I've had 2x so far..I also did the injection but only had a few hours of relief some though do get long term.

Pt should show you all the things I spoke about in a earlier post ..good luck and I hope you get some relief.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.