advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Benzo for pain relief?

morgan102195mmorgan102195 Midland, TexasPosts: 4

hello this is my 2nd post on this site looking for answers on my upper back/sternum injury. See here —> https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/94805/pain/upper-back-pain-thoracic/chiropractic-adjustment-untrained-friend-leads-severe-upper-back-neck-pain-headaches#latest

For the past 3 years I’ve been searching for answers. I’ve spent tons of money and travelled long distances. So far I’ve gotten 0 from medical doctors (my assumption is that since my X-rays and MRIs all come back normal they either don’t know what to do or don’t think I need any treatment (which still blows my mind after how long I’ve been dealing with this). I’m still looking for different chiropractor as I think that’s the only solution but the adjustments I’ve had don’t relieve the pain at all. Ive been doing physical therapy for the last year and the days are starting to feel repetitive as I don’t feel any pain relief. I’m going because it does feel good to still be working out and the pain actually does subside for the 30 minutes or so within the workout. However there’s one thing that makes me feel almost completely back to normal again. Xanax (Alprazolam). My roommate gets them from their doctor. He said he has trouble sleeping and his doctor prescribed them. He gave me his prescription for a month (I know this is a big no-no, sorry!) but that month was the best month I’ve had in 3 years. The pain almost completely vanishes, my muscles stop their “guarding”, I feel like the social butterfly I was before all this happened. I’m happy, confident, and can focus more on my personal life rather than the pain I feel every day. I’ve spoken about this with all my doctors and none of them are willing to prescribe them to me. I don’t understand how my friend who is also my age who has trouble sleeping can get these prescribed but I can’t. I’ve had sleeping every night since I was injured. To be honest it just seems unfair. I don’t want to be on the medication forever. I really don’t want to be on it at all. But if it gives me a life again until I find an answer, why can’t I have prescribed?

advertisement

Comments

• When I got a new psychiatrist in 2007 he said he wouldn’t have prescribed a benzo to me if I hadn’t previously been taking one. 

He said the risk of dependency is too high and he prefers prescribing SSRI’s instead of benzo’s.

I take BuSpar which isn’t a benzo but helps with anxiety and sleep.

As David stated a benzo is for anxiety and panic. 

If you have anxiety attacks visiting a new psychiatrist who can assess your situation can’t hurt.

• Jill AnnJJill Ann Missoula MTPosts: 12

Taking someone's script isn't legal or right, but it worked for this person. Pharmaceuticals are always telling doctors to prescribe drugs off label, so why not prescribe. Every action anymore is a knee-jerk reaction. Doctors have no power to help patients because, as my doctor said, she gets love notes from the insurance companies she has to respond to, taking up her weekends. The pharmaceuticals caused these problems by having doctors over prescribe these "miracle,"drugs that went out to people who didn't need them so they could make millions of dollars. Well some of us need some of these drigs to function on a daily basis. So don't judge this person too harshly. As one with back issues, chronic pain, and two back fusions, I am to the point I will try almost anything to get at least half my functioning life back. Those who abuse drugs should be helped. Those who have had success with certain drugs should be allowed to use them. Hell, almost any drug one takes is habit-forming. The problem is that one doesn't know when the DEA is going to raid your pain clinic and your doctor put it out of business. 

We live in a crazy world where the people needing help don't get it and are judged negatively. Shame on our world we even got to this point in the first place

• advertisement
  • I don't believe anyone is judging, but want to make sure it's known that you can get a label placed on you real fast if you get caught.  One other thing, I have neighbors who both took Xanex long term (really didn't need it in the first place IMHO), but when they had to come off of it, they were sicker than hell.  It was withdrawals like DavidG was talking about, but it took weeks before they both felt human again.

You are 100% right, Jill...when you are in pain and cannot find relief, you'll try darn near anything to get relief.  It's a shame that doctor's have to be cold hearted when confronted with the potential of prescribing an opioid or just giving Tylenol.  Some day people will learn why opioids were targeted as badly as they have been.  Some of the dirty players in DC are starting to be revealed.  

• Benzo's ARE excellent, at first, for pain relief because they are a muscle relaxer, stress reducer and mood enhancer. But it's extremely short lived and only makes things worse in the long run. Withdrawal is absolute hell and could actually be dangerous. Like alcohol can create an alcoholic and ruin lives and family, benzo's will do the same. I honestly think benzo's are the absolute worst drug. Period. It's better to be in pain than to suffer side effects of the psychological pain that they cause.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.