advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

ongoing leg pain after discectomy

Comments

• Just wondered if anyone has had a L-4 discectomy and had worse pain in the left hip down to foot! The chin muscle is the worst. I have a sensation almost like a bad sun burn on my top of chin and foot. Very painful I'm just 3 wks tomorrow post op. I did ok for the first few days at home and then the pain hit day 3! I made the mistake of not taking my pain meds when I got home so when it hit I was in trouble! I called Drs office talked to nurse she said start on the Percocet every 4 hrs to get pain under control. I did that and thought that mayb I wasn't walking enough since the pain hit so I went to the gym and walked 1 1/2 mile on the treadmill at a slow pace and no incline. I felt good while walking but later that day I paid for it and I haven't been good since that day before the pain hit. I was getting worse this wk so I called to get into see the dr and I got the nurse. She said that the dr doesn't see the patient until the 6 wk post op apt! I explained to her that I was getting worse not better. She said she would talk to the dr for his advice! The next day she called back and said the dr wanted me to start taking prednisone dose pak and if I wasn't any better he would do an MRI and possible lyrica. I don't see him until May 21st! I'm very frustrated at this point bc it's like they didn't tell me or give me a sheet of what to expect after surgery or what issues I could have ect. I had a 2 wk apt post op which I though was going to be with the dr but ended up being the nurse just for a wound check! Is this normal not to be able to at least talk to your surgeon on the phone or get into see the dr to discuss any issues that your having post op????
    Dawn williams
  • 12 days post op l5-s1 l4-l5 discectomy of my mother age 65, and still hurting. Had intense hip/ butt pain on left sides. Post-op the leg pain was gone but since last 2 days it started again with lower intensity from pre op. Worried that we may have to live with this forever. Please let me know of any experiences with this situation. Can we expect recovery and relief down in how much time.
    The pain on left side is much more tolerable than it was pre-op but bothersome and depressing overall. will it ever get better? We want her life back.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,212
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It's 10 months post and I and I have started feeling pain from my back to hip to lower leg to foot. I am catching a 3 hour & 55minute flight and I am scared about the pain. I have all of my pain meds with me and even paid for extra leg room. I will be calling my doctor first thing in the morning. I tried to stretch out my leg thinking it would get better however it didn't help. Just like all the other bloggers, I just want my life back!!!!! This every day pain is too much, and not sure if a 3. Epi shot will help. I can't wear heels, closed shoes kill me and lyrica doesn't seem to be as effective as before. Who would have thought a simple l5 fix would cause all of this ? I am going to inquire if a stimulation devices will help. I am at a lost for my pain but I have to work through it.
    Never give up!
  • CursedCCursed Posts: 1
    edited 10/15/2015 - 9:34 AM
    Hi, I am 33 y o. Had back pain which started last year out of the blue. Was diagnosed with l5/s1 disc herniation. Tried 2 epidural shots which helped but the pain wasn't going away completely. Pain was too bad. I was able to do everything. Happened to meet the spine surgeon who said if I want to get better quickly I should have surgery. I was foolish to have Listened to him. I underwent micro dissectomy in 02/15 and woke up with left leg pain/ numbness. It has been 8 months since the surgery and I am miserable. Can't sit at all for more than 1/2 hr without crying with pain. Pain in left foot and left calf. Severe enough to lie down. I am taking lyrica 150 mg twice a day and Celebrex once a day. Loosing hope. I just want to cut my leg off or die. I am in a professional school. Spent 15 years of my life studying and now I can't even work. Spine surgeon caused the nerve injury during surgery. Does anybody have any experience with covering from that?
  • advertisement
    edited 10/15/2015 - 11:37 PM
    welcome to spine-health
    Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• edited 10/31/2015 - 7:58 PM
    I ve had the same problem and that prednisone pack just made me more hungry then ever I already had to surgeries and I'm still in the worse pain ever..I think I need a 3rd surgery..but first I got me a lawyer..
    frances Peralta
    welcome to spine-health
    please click in link for helpful information!
    Sue

• The first surgery was an interior interbody l4l5 fusion and a laminectomy. Not much relief with that one, and had it in October of 2014. Had a revision of l4l5 fusion and laminectomy in April 2015. More relief from that one, but then pain came back in my calves and feet. The last surgery was on December 3, 2015 for a decompression of l2-S1 and my left thigh was numb after that one for a few days and then my right calf and right foot, numbness and pain. Now what??? Ready for a life again but body is not cooperating.

welcome to spine-health
    Sue

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.