advertisement
advertisement

4 Weeks Microdiscectomy Post Op Pain (L5-S1)

Hi,

It’s been a couple days more than 4 weeks since my L5-S1 microdiscectomy, and I am still feeling the same pain that had returned 7 days after the surgery. Last week, I requested an MRI, and the report returned as saying there still was a 3mm bulging and S1 nerve root crowding but my doctor assured me that there is no re-herniation based on his viewing of the images. He told me to just rest and see him again in a few weeks to discuss physical therapy. When I asked why I feel this way, he said that we all heal differently, but I’m finding it hard to believe that I should be experiencing pain like this 4 weeks after surgery.

When I wake up, I feel the pain in my buttock region similar to how it was prior to surgery but less int. Once I begin walking around, it lessens, but it then returns in the evening at full force. Also, when I squeeze my abdomen (like when going number 2), pain is felt due to the squeezing. The pain is manageable, but it is still there and bothersome. Has anybody else felt pain like this 

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,455
    edited 07/18/2019 - 3:33 PM

Art

Your doctor is right, we all heal differently, I have had 4 discetomy's and every one has been different, I have had two lumbar fusions and both were completley different, it took me 4 months before I felt good, although my right foot still feel cold now, but I am still seeing improvement in that.

I know this is hard to do, but find something, anything to get your mind off your back, the stress of thinking you messed something up will tighten everything up, make you hurt worse and just generally make you feel bad all over.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Chip, thank you for sharing your experience and being here for us during such a desperate time and need for support. You’re absolutely right about finding something to take my mind off of this “recovery chapter.” The thought of re-herniation or an unsuccessful outcome is very exhausting and burdensome, but I’m slowly learning to deal with it.

I’ll definitely keep posting and update about how I’m feeling, physical therapy (once I begin that), etc.

Take care and thanks again.

Art

• advertisement
  • Art

That is the great thing about this forum, there is always somebody with the experience of what you are going through, and that helps, I know it has for me, doctor's can tell us what they are going to do as far as the physical stuff, but they cannot prepare us for the emotional and personally I think that is the hardest part of spine surgery.

Take care

Chip

Sign In or Join Us to comment.