advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Shoulder pain from stenosis

Hi, I'm back on the site after a long absence,  I have spinal stenosis described at the last MRI as severe both in the lumbar area and more recently in the neck.  Surgery was discussed but in view of the two seperate issues and my age, nearly eighty, I didn't think it was advisable.  I am fairly disabled need help to dress and need to  use an electric wheelchair if I go out and use Buprenorphine patches, !5mcg to control the pain.  I have now developed pain in my left shoulder which I think could be caused by the cervical stenosis.  My question is, how is this likely to progress and what is my best course of action.  I have, in the past received a lot of support from this site so again look to you all for help. Thanks- John

advertisement

Comments

• Disappointing, fourteen days and no-one was sufficently interested in responding.  I realise we all have our problems or we wouldn't be on this site but previously I found it was all about supporting each other, but that seems to have changed.. I suppose this lack of response is indicative of the general disinterest of people for others who may need help, advice and support.

• SomersetJohn

I am sorry no one responded to your post, personally I did not see it for some reason, I also have stenosis in the cervical and lumbar, moderate to severe in the cervical and moderate in the lumbar, surgeon said that when it became a real problem for me that the only thing that could be done is surgery, I do have some shoulder pain but I am not sure that it is caused by the stenosis.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • boo9989bboo9989 Posts: 547
    edited 06/19/2019 - 1:24 PM

@SomersetJohn 

I too am going to apologize to you as I didnt see your post till now.

As they did more testing it showed cord compression in my cervical neck at c5-7...the rest is history..17 yrs later and 3 surgeries since I am again going down ole town road so to speak with adjacent level failure and wouldn't you know it I've again developed shoulder problems..

But again I'm so sorry for the delay ..

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

Somerset John

I apologize for not seeing your post. That is not like us, and again, I am so sorry.
    I also have stenosis of the spine, cervical to lumbar, the most severe in the lumbar. I do know it can be painful but my pain is fairly controlled by a pain pump. I am 70, not in good health so I am not a candidate for surgery.

Depending upon it's cause, stenosis can be progressive, getting worse with time. Also, on where the narrowing takes place, you may feel these symptoms in your lower back, legs, arms, neck or shoulder. Let your doctor know if you have any new symptoms or pain.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Again, I apologize.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072

@Somerset John

Many times, new discussions do not get responded to for a period of time.   The first reason is that people have to see that discussion to make comments.   The fact that we now have over 100,000 international members posting daily, at times its difficult to keep up with all the new items.

My moderator team, all volunteers do they very best to keep up with all new posts.   We all try to address any new discussion, especially that  those that have zero replies.

In reality, we have interest in all members who are looking for help and support.  Advice, we can not give.

• advertisement
  • Thank you for your postings.  I feel I realy ought to apologise.  I guess I was having a bad few days, as we all do I'm sure.  My shouilder difficulties seem to be par for the course.  Back to the choice of grin and bear it or go for the knife.  Everybody seems to think that's best avoided. My cervical stenosis is at the same level as Boo so at least it was good to realise I am not alone with this.  Sorry again folks.

• No need to apologize, just glad you came back, that was a long time without a reply and we are usually better than that

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Thanks again everyone. In answer to David G.  My surgeon has indicated that the only treatment available to me is surgery on one or both areas.  He has left it to me to make the decision and I decided against, due in part to my age and the expected lengthy recovery period.  I don't want to spend possibly, what little time I have left in painful recovery.  I also don't want to condemn my lovely wife to even more  onerous nursing duties.  After all  she is 75 and has her own problems.  I have been disabled for some time, and am, dare I say it, used to it.  The worst of the pain is dealt with by medication and downright bloody mindedness.  I have all the kit to make life easier so all the time I can cope I will.

I have been given the option by the surgeon of changing my mind if I'm forced to  But he has said he fully understands my present point of view.

Thanks again for your interest, I'll be sure to keep in touch.  Best wishes. John

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

John

Please don't be a stranger. We would still like to know how you are doing sometime.
    Take care
    Sandra

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.