advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Tapering oxycodone with chronic pain (withdrawal maybe?)

Comments

• SergeP1SergeP1 Posts: 16
    edited 06/11/2019 - 1:09 PM

Ive talked to several big chain local pharmacies all say the same thing, they can check the stock but can't hold it. And are not allowed to keep more than a certain amount. So when they don't have it in stock it means someone else got there before me. 

I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Any tips on what to ask for (at least for next month).  I think trying to taper on oxycodone was a mistake...I think as others have said, it would have been a lot easier on any drug besides this one.

I like the idea of tramadol. Long half-life, less difficult to get the RX filled.
  • @SergeP1

Sergep1 I mean really you do need to discuss all this with your doctor. If you want to completely wean off oxycodone you might need to first focus on that or add tramadol along with a smaller dose of oxycodone and then slowly work off of it because you will be hit with withdrawls if you just switch from oxycodone to tramadol right off the bat..that were your doctor needs to help with the slow weaning off..is it you dont want the oxycodone because of issue with the pharmacy? Or is it about what your doctor want you to do as far as lowing the amount of opioids your taking..

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,448

Remember, July and Aug. have 31 days, when getting a refill from your doctor. And I do understand what you are going through with the big pharmacies. For a while I had to deal with CVS and Rite-Aid because of insurance. Be the first one in line the day of your refill. 
    Talk with your doctor. Ask him the best way to do this. I have had to taper then ween myself off oxy as well. See if he will give you something for break through pain while tapering. Hopefully you can talk to him and work something out.

Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how it goes. 

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
    edited 06/11/2019 - 4:47 PM

edit:  I was just wondering if tramadol would be a good alternative to ask about, specifically because it has a long half life, no ups and downs  just consistent pain.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,448

I would have 2 or 3 alternatives to discuss with him and then decide what would be best for you. 
    I know this is not easy but you can do it. 
    Please let us know about your appt. tomorrow.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • I can't understand either why your doctor wasn't willing to do a long acting and a short acting med.  Thats what my doctor insists on and I thought that was kind of the standard in PM now.

My PM used to do the 30 day refills too but last year they started a 28 day script.  You get thirty days worth of meds but at 28 day intervals.  Right before they made the change, the doctor was sick and missed a couple of days so some of us had to wait on scripts.  It is so nice to actually have a surplus.

Also I have had trouble with the pharmacy having enough to fill my MS Contin or Percocet.  I now call 5 days ahead of my due date so if need be they can order some in.  If you have been with a pharmacy for awhile, they should be able to do that for you or maybe change to a pharmacy who will?

As far as weaning goes, I have weaned several times off Oxycodone and Hydrocodone.  Never tried anything else so I don't know if Tramadol would be easier or not.

Hope you get some answers at your appointment.

Cindy

edited 06/12/2019 - 4:09 PM

Based on some private messages, I may have worded things poorly.  I personally dont think the opiates are helping enough anymore. I was never forced to taper down, it was always my call to say when its time to go up or down. My Dr thought going down wouldn't have a noticeable effect,  but this was a trial, returning to my old dose was an option. He seemed too confident for me to feel this was normal.  

I should not try an invasive procedure while Im on a high dose of opiates, I think its come time try something else. 

Anyway I went to the Dr. today he said if I'm serious about wanting to reduce my dosage then I should not switch to a long acting drug it will only be harder to stop . 

So I got a new script so that I'm at 50 mg/day for the next 15days. He also gave me a clonidine  patch, if I think I'm having issues with side effects from dropping.  But like I said, I can handle 50mg. I might just need to go down in 5mg intervals til I hit my thresh hold. 

Most importantly I asked for and received two lidocaine trigger point injections today. They dont help more than a few days, but it undid the pain that accumulated over the past 2 weeks. I feel like my old 'only half-way crippled' self.   Even managed to mow the lawn. 

• @SergeP1

Sounds like a good positive appointment today I am happy for you. It's always best to ask your doctor when you have questions and are weaning. After all they are there too help you.

Good luck to you I wish you only the best  :)

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918

SergeP1 - Baby steps, baby steps as long as they are in the right direction.  From my own experience of tapering off of oxycodone, it sounds like you received very good advice from your doctor.  As challenges come along this process of tapering, as boo9989 said, there are people here to support you that have been through this tapering process, including myself.

edited 06/12/2019 - 4:53 PM

Thanks,  I might be putting myself through unnecessary pain for no good reason, but Im not working now if Im ever going to try this is the right time.  

Ive had osteoporosis since my 20s went unnoticed for years because i was male and in my 20's. Then I got a disc herniation and found out about both at the same time, but my spine had already shrunk 3". The vertebrae are so close together anything invasive has an equal chance of doing harm vs good, and something like fusion/discotomy can create weak spots and snap the vertebrae as it gets thinner over the years. Steroids are also out because they inhibit bone growth. The best advice was to stay on pain killers as long as they work.  

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.