advertisement
advertisement

Extending a posterior fusion of C3-7 to C3-T1

purpletrailppurpletrail Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2019 - 3:52 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I'm new here, [edit].  Quick history.  Hit by a car while biking many years ago.  Landed on hood of car on my neck.  Injury reversed the c curve in my neck.  Avoided surgery with PT, massage and exercise until 2003.  First surgery minimally invasive cord decompression.  Failed after one year.  Second surgery in 2005 - 2 level ACDF C5-7.  Failed after two years.  Third surgery Posterior fusion of C3-7 in 2008.

Now my old friends are back.  Pain and numbness in both arms,  neck feels like it's in a vice grip, pain radiating under my shoulder blades and best of all, the cervical headaches when I overdo it. Also a lot of strange numbness in my left calf, dizziness and other sensory issues.  MRI,CT and bone scan show significant spinal cord and nerve root compression at C7-T1.   

Options.  Retire on disability with a ton of medication and very little activity or have surgery to extend fusion.  I have elected to have another posterior fusion of C7-T1.  The neurosurgeon will try to decompress cord and nerves while attaching to the prior fusion.  If he isn't happy with that procedure, he will open up the prior fusion, remove the rods and replace with rods that extend from C3-T1.

So, has anyone out there had this type of revision?  I know everyone is different, but I would like to know what to expect.  The surgeon said that it wouldn't be nearly as bad as the prior surgery, which involved 4 or 5 lamenectomies.  I'm having a lot of anxiety about this one.  Thank you for your input!

Edited by Liz Veritas-Health Forum Moderator 

advertisement

Comments

• boo9989bboo9989 Posts: 451
    edited 07/31/2019 - 12:26 PM

purpletrail

Hi there is a couple of members on here that have had more the 1 posterior..1 being joowee that just had a revision 4 weeks ago

I too am going to have to have mine extended from a c4-7 to a c3-t1 as soon as I can get approval. 

Hopefully joowee and others that have gone threw more then just 1 posterior will be along shortly 

Good luck keep me posted as I'm right behind you.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,403

purpletrail

I am so sorry you will have to go through this again. When you know your surgery date, please join us in Surgery Buddies. There you will meet other members waiting on surgery and/or going through recovery.

Take care and keep us posted.

• Boo - thanks for the info on others with two posterior fusions.  I hope that you can get approval ASAP.  

Sandra- I will join surgical buddies. Thanks for the recommendation. My surgery date is 7/11.  

Nutcase (hate to call you that, since I'm sure you are not) - some of my complications are related to Rheumatoid arthritis.  I developed RA after a long standing Lyme infection.  My neurosurgeon said it most affects C1/C2 and C7/T1.  I do have slippage on the C7/T1 level (I think it's called retrolothesis).  I can't imagine having all of those levels autofused!  Backing the car out has to be an issue for you.  It's already a problem for me and I'm sure will be a lot worse after the next fusion. 

I also have a bit of osteopenia from steriods, which is concerning.  I hope that it doesn't affect my  ability to fuse.  Thank you all for your input.  

Holly 

purpletrail

Has the doctor spoken to you about possibly using a bone stimulator since you have osteopenia? I used one for 6 months after my posterior..might be something to ask him about.

• advertisement
  • I will look into that.  I have a pre-surgery physical next week. 

• Hope everything goes well for you  good luck  :)

• joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 239

I'm 5wks out from my second posterior so pm me if you need to ask any questions. The second has not been quite as bad as the first since it was not as much work done but you have to start all over dealing with all the muscle spasms and everything again and pt again. 

• joowee - what exactly did you have done on your first and second surgery?  What symptoms did you have that led to the second surgery?   I have the nerve pain in my arms and shoulders that my surgeon said relates to C7-T1.  I also have a constant vice grip kind of pain in my entire neck, lots of snapping at the top of the fusion and cervical headaches.  Makes me wonder if some of the issues are from the top of the fusion, or could it be from spinal cord compression at C7-T1.  Would hate to have C7-T1 fused and still have issues.  

purpletrail

Your symptoms do sound similar to mine and I have issue above and below. I have problem at c3/4 and c7/t1 so my surgery will be to extend it from c4-7 to c3-t1.  I get alot of pulling feeling then a snap .I have ringing in my left ear that's constant..I get alot of headaches too as well as shoulder pain ..but I'm also having shoulder problems so some of that pain is from that.  I have numbness in my left ear and jaw line if I tilt my head slightly to the left..I describe my neck pain as if someone struck me with a hatchet and just left it. I also get alot of upper back and shoulder blade pain too..that I believe is coming from c7/t1 .I dont have alot of arm pain mainly weakness again in my hands ...is that what your getting?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.