advertisement
advertisement

Oxycodone

Has anyone ever experienced shortness of breath and heart palpitations, fatigue from this medicine?

advertisement

Comments

• No it was for breakthrough pain while on fentanyl 12 mcg patch... So when the patches don't work while on.. Funny concept breakthrough pain like a leak from the patch hahaha I'm leaking like a bike tire take an extra oxy.. But no never.. With Norco I have but I smoke also. Not suggested.. I know I know... Good luck maybe another medication.. 

• Look it up or talk to your doctor. I have never had a problem with it, it may be a case of getting used to it.

• advertisement
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 165
    edited 11/13/2019 - 4:04 PM

I think i may have noticed shortness of breath as symptom of overdose on [edit]  Yes, definitely talk to your doctor.

Edited by ~Liz Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

I'm confused about oxycodone. I was in the hospital last year and 10mg worked instantly and wonderfully.  It even made me feel rather euphoric and talkative.  Now i am prescribed it for at home use following my back op. and it doesn't do anything, at least not for 4 hours or so, and really not until i take a second dose.  A number of months ago i had been going to a pain clinic. The PA there told me she heard from other people that the oxycodone that CVS sells doesn't work well. I then filled the next prescription at Costco but it seemed the same. I even went to the hospital to get my records and it said that it was indeed 10mg oxycodone that they gave me. Why did it work so good there while the stuff i have here doesn't? It's almost four hours now and nothing...

• Arizona, You May have developed a bit of tolerance to the Oxycodone after being on it steadily for a year or so. It’s relatively common over time . You can discuss it with your pain management doctor and he can switch you over to a different opiate to combat tolerance issues. 

A word of caution, if your doctor has not given clear directions that you can take two tablets at once or during a set dosing time frame, do not take it upon yourself to do so UNLESS and until your current prescriber gives you permission to. Taking more on your own can get you cut off from ANY pain medication. Not saying you are, just a word of advice. We have seen many many people dismissed and cut off for taking more of the pain meds than they are prescribed. 

Best of luck.

• advertisement
  • I did the same, but felt more like it slowed my breathing down and felt I like I missed breaths, if that makes sense . Mentioned it to my osteopath and he explained that is the drugs biggest problem it is a big cause of ‘ accidental over does’ so definitely don’t take that one anymore. Haven’t had the problems since.
    edited 11/13/2019 - 12:51 AM

Sandi - No, I've not been on oxycodone steadily at all. I'm not the addictive type.  Rarely in fact. A year ago they gave me a couple of pills when i was in the hospital - for an unrelated thing - they did something very painful to me and it cured the pain instantly, and then i tried it at the pain clinic only a few times and that was about 6 months ago, but it wasn't effective then.  Now i was just re-prescribed it following my back operation 3 1/2 weeks ago. The prescription says 2 tabs every six hours, 8 tabs a day, but i have only been taking one dose, ie 2 tabs, at night, sometimes twice, ie 4. I hate taking most drugs and they don't usually agree with me. Do i need to take it round the clock for it to work? I don't want to do that for a number of reasons. My question was only why the ones they gave me at the hospital seemed to work so much better. Maybe it just doesn't work well on nerve pain...does anything?

• Hi Arizona, 

Usually when dosing instructions say 1-2 tabs every X hours, they typically want you to try the lower dose first, then if you are still in moderate to severe pain, you can take the second. That’s my understanding over many years of dealing with pain management. You might find if you take 1/2 a second tablet, it eases the pain enough and helps avoid the unwanted side effects. 

Opiates don’t work well for nerve pain for most people, but there are others that work better like Lyrica, or gabapentin, and others. Your pm can offer some suggestions. After surgery once the immediate post op pain subsided, the nerve pain was horrendous for me for months. I took Lyrica and it worked pretty well, but others had a hard time with side effects and found gabapentin or another med worked better. 

Because nerves recover so slowly it can be awhile before that type of pain settles down. 

edited 11/14/2019 - 2:34 AM

Hi, Sandi123

Why r u assuming the directions on my bottle say 1-2 tabs? It says 2 tabs, and that's what they were giving me in the rehab place whenever i asked for it (and only when i asked for it). 

Like any of them know what to do for nerve pain!  No they don't. That's why i had the back op, to try to free up the nerves in my back - severe stenosis - that was supposedly causing my nerve pain - polyneuropathy and innervation. The surgeon gave me contradictory expectations, telling me there's no guarantee that the nerves would come alive again - I've had this for at least 6 years - and then telling me I should get "immediate relief", but i read about this too and i knew the op. was a gamble, and i also know that there is still hope because, as u said, the nerves might flare up and temp.become even more painful. I may have been so extra painful yesterday because i had what i think was some sort of bug going around the day before, and besides throwing up etc. and not eating for almost 2 days i walked 2 whole miles, the most since the op 3 1/2 weeks ago.

I've tried so many things, and i think u r right about the opiates. Lyrica didn't help me and gave me a huge apetite and consequently i gained weight. Gabapentin never did much either, but I'm still on it and i think that may be a better bet 4 me than he oxy now and im upping the dose today and so far I'm not hurting as much as yesterday, not nearly...and before u holler at me - ha ha - the neorologist told me to play around with the dose up to 3,600 per day.

More importantly, how is your nerve pain now? Did u have a back op 4 similar reasons to me? Oh, the surgeon told me that the op went perfectly and at the rehab place they told me my recovery speed had been remarkable.  I know i tend 2 overdo things tho.

• Arizona, I didn’t assume to know what the directions on your bottle say. I was speaking generally, what most PM docs tell their patients when they prescribe using the 1-2 tablets every X hours. You sound angry and I am not sure why you are directing it toward me. If I offended you, I apologize. 

Any comments I make are general, based on my experiences in dealing with pain management, and post op pain, and decades of living with chronic pain and the usual treatments as I and many others have experienced. 

Lyrica for many causes weight gain- one of its not so great side effects. The good thing in my case was once I stopped it, the weight fell off within a month. It seemed to be similar for many people taking it. 

Gabapentin didn’t work for me. The good thing about it though is for many it does and has a huge range of dosing so even if it’s not helpful at lower doses, it seems to work pretty well once you find the dose that works for you. 

As far as my surgeries went- the first was for severe stenosis and nerve impression, spinal cord compression from L3-S1 levels, 3 herniations of varying degrees, and slipping of vertebrae at L3-4, and L5-S1- in two different directions. I developed foot drop on top of it. After the first surgery, I developed post op Cauda Equina Syndrome. 17 months later, I had bilateral total foot drop, mostly lost my ability to walk/stand and was relegated to a wheelchair. The second surgery was a last ditch attempt to try to keep me on my feet,‘salvage op’ was how my surgeon described it. 

The nerve pain now is minimal- limited to stings or zaps- occasionally. It was a rough ride for a couple of years, but eventually the burning pain disappeared and now I am basically numb from my hips down. 

" You sound angry and I am not sure why you are directing it toward me. If I offended you, I apologize. "

No, I'm not angry at all, Sandi.  You didn't offend me.  Sorry if I sounded that way.  I'll write more later...

Oh my, Sandi, you have been through it.  When you say you are numb from the hips down does that mean you can't walk?  Thank God your nerve pain is now minimal.  I'm very pain resistant, but nerve pain is something else.  

• sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 373
    edited 11/15/2019 - 12:23 AM

After the first surgery, because of the compromise of the spinal cord and nerve roots before and after the surgery, I lost much muscle and nerve conduction/sensory function. I developed severe post op swelling that further caused damage from the tops of my hips down- everything no longer worked properly, including bladder, bowels, sensation, muscle tone and control. Before 1st surgery, I had a patch of numbness on my left calf, and partial foot drop. I could walk but often tripped or fell. After, I could no longer hold myself up without a walker, couldn’t pull my feet up to take steps, they kinda flopped if I tried. It wasn’t diagnosed properly straight away, so the damage to the cauda equina worsened. The surgeon kept saying it was just going to take time.. within under 6 months, despite physical therapy, I continued to loose more muscle tone and the sensory issues never improved, my ability to stand even with bilateral afo braces and a walker got worse and worse. They finally told me that I was going to require a full time motorized wheelchair.. they ordered them and I got myself to see a few big city spine surgeons to find out what was wrong. I developed a post op case of Cauda Equina Syndrome. It was made worse because they only addressed part of the problems they should have during the first surgery, leaving no room for the post op swelling to go. It was a hot mess, but I finally managed to find one surgeon who told me the only reason he would consider doing the surgery was if I understood that he was not hoping for any improvement, just hoping to delay my eventual permanent full time wheelchair use. I had small kids at the time. He wanted to try to preserve what little bit I could stand. So we took the risk.. I am grateful to him to this day. 

God bless you, Sandi. I hope you make a miraculous recovery.

The almost two weeks I spent in the recovery place-nursing home following my back surgery made a big impression on me. I spoke to a  lot of people and became friendly with them.   Interesting people, intelligent people, some so amazing like that lady who can't use her arms or legs but paints beautifully with the brush in her mouth.  People whose bodies broke, people you never see on the street, people that few know about, lonely people, and I of course amongst them...We try to fight it, fight for our condition here on earth. I think that the best people are tested the hardest for the glory that is to come...and I'm no evangelist, just religious in my own way...

• Thank You. At the time I was grateful for any delay and thankfully was blessed enough to find one surgeon who cared enough to try. It was a battle to try to regain much of what I had lost- you can loose A LOT of muscle tone in 17 months, and it took almost 6 years to achieve, but I regained most of the muscle tone, little to no sensory and tiny amounts of impulse (nerve control), but the muscles allow me to walk. I just can’t feel much of anything, so I have to be watchful of where I step. 

One thing I’ve learned is we all have our battles to fight, our struggles along the way, but no one is more or less impacted in their own lives and capabilities than another. We all have to find the path that works for us and allows us to fight for another day. 

• Arazona,  I really dont think anyone answered your original question....about why did the oxy you took at the hospital was better than what you take at home...am I correct? I've been on oxycodone for about 3 years, the same dosage. Anyway, I've read online that different pharmaceutical companies that make this med, and I suppose any med, have different effects on a person. Like one pharmaceutical company may have a better quality of med than another one. Do some research on it. Maybe you can find what I'm talking about. 

And as far as nerve pain meds,  I take 3200 mg of Gabapentin a day. I've had 3 lumbar fusion's. My L3-L4 and L5 are all fused. I've got osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, severe nerve damage, edema in both hips and a few more issues going on with my body. 

I hope things work out for you...

"different pharmaceutical companies that make this med, and I suppose any med, have different effects on a person."

They are all supposed to be the same but I don't think they are, and the nurse pract. at that pain clinic agreed with me. The Oxycodone they gave me at the hospital had a markedly different effect than the pills I got at the CVS drugstore. Then I tried Costco drugstore but it seemed the same as CVS.  At any rate I have now switched to a very small dose of Tramadol instead of the Oxycodone. I take the Tramadol along with a Gabapentin pill and it helps my nerve pain much more than the drugstore Oxycododone did, plus I think it was the Oxy. that was causing a lot of problems for me, nausea even throwing up, etc., the drugstore kind far more than the ones they were giving me in the hospital and rehab. I suspect something fishy is going on with these drugs.  

• They are all "supposed" to be of the same quality, but I have to disagree with this. I've taken the same med but from a different pharmaceutical company and it was different. How did you get the oxycodone while you were in the hospital?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.