advertisement
advertisement

Rhizotomy tomorrow

I have my 1st Rhizotomy tomorrow. I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, and 2 slipped discs in my back in the L4-L5 discs. It has been getting worse and worse, I can't walk for more than 3 min, can't stand for more than 5 min. I've tried 3 cortisone shots, a lumbar facet injection and those didn't work. I had medial branch block and the 4 hours of relief was amazing. So the next step is a rhizotomy, does anyone have any advice. Will it hurt for a while? Any suggestions? Did the Rhizotomy work for you?

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 2,061
    edited 07/18/2019 - 5:52 PM

snowvail

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum

Learn How to Use the Forum - Take the System Tutorial

I have not had this procedure so I will not be of much help, we have several members that have had the procedure and hopefully they will be by to comment.
    Chip
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,315
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM

Hello snowvail!!

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial for more information.
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forum
    Learn how to use Veritas Health Forum - see the tutorial

From what I have rad from other members, you may feel discomfort and swelling at the site. Your back may be sore for a few days. An ice pack will come in handy. But remember, everyone is different, so are the surgeons who does this. 

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you are doing.

• advertisement
  • It went well. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I've been icing it all weekend. The right side of my back before hurt the most. Now my left side is hurting more, is that normal?

• challengercchallenger Posts: 2,061
    edited 07/18/2019 - 5:53 PM

Glad the procedure went well, keep us posted.

• Ok thanks for the info. Glad it's normal, but wow it's painful. Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll some improvement. 

• advertisement
  • It's been a few months now. It worked!!! I can now walk long distances, get groceries, and be normal again!!! Definitely doing it again when they grow back. 

• Hi again snowvail!

I have just found this thread and now see that you did have a Medial Branch Block that relieved your pain, so that indicated that nerve was a pain generator.  I am very encouraged to hear that you can now walk long distances!  That is the imporvement I am most hoping for!  Right now I can't go shopping or do anything that requires more than just a few minutes walking.  After just a few steps my right leg becomes very painful and just gets worse and worse as I walk.  It causes me to hobble so much that then the left leg joins in and becomes painful.  As I mentioned on your other thread, I am awaiting a nerve ablation.

I am expecting to be in worse pain for a couple of weeks, but then hoping that I will start to feel better.  I am really pleased that it has relieved your pain, and the fact that you say you would definately do it again is very encouraging too.  I hope it lasts a nice long time for you.  From reading, it sounds like people often get about a year of pain relief.  My neurosurgeon said it could even be 2 or 3 years.  That would be fantastic!

I hope you come back and tell us how long your pain relief lasted.

• Jennyhall, my doctor said it could be anywhere from 6 months to 6 years of relief. I'm hoping for the 6 years. There are some days I'll tweak my back and have to rest and ice it. But that's a given I still have 2 slipped disc, spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. It definitely helped with the pain and will do it again in a heart beat! This time I think I'll take a few extra days off from work. Monday and Tuesday after it was quite painful sitting against a hard chair. I'll keep you posted. I really hope that it works for you as well. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.