advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy recovery

Heyyy everyone. I’m 2 weeks post my surgery for L5/S1. I am 27 years old. I had severe sciatica pain down my left leg for 4 months before surgery. I could barely sit, walk or sleep during that time. My doctor seeing my MRI said “That’s a really bad MRI”, and suggested me for a surgery which i agreed coz i wanted to get rid of the pain and stress that i was going through. 

I still have some shooting sciatica pain and tingling pain on my left leg even after surgery. But it’s comparatively lower than what i had before surgery. My pain mostly is on the butt, which is also swollen. Also, sometimes i feel some tingling effect on my right leg (on which i never had any pain before surgery). 

Called my doctor’s office and they said to continue my pain medicines that they prescribed. My pain subsides a lot when i take those meds. I have my first post-op follow up appointment on Wednesday. However, the continuing pain bothers and stresses me everyday. 

So just wondering if this pain is normal, or am i having the pain coz of reherniation? How long does it take to be pain free after a surgery? This is my first ever surgery in life and i really don’t wanna have another one for the same problem. 

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,233
    edited 07/15/2019 - 11:07 AM
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

Hi bala2205!

I am so sorry you have had to go through this surgery but at least your pain level is lower than before surgery. Like Chip said, give it time. Nerves do not like to be touched, moved or cut. So when they start waking up, they are mad. But that is what you want. If not, then you would have permanent nerve damage.

Follow your doctor's orders and recover well. The link Chip sent you will be very helpful.
    Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • Thank you so much for the responses guys!! The link you gave seems really helpful. As you rightly said patience is the key which I’m really missing coz of the trauma!! I’ll start being patient atleast from now and do my regular walks and other routines as said by the doctor. 

I will definitely keep you posted after my appointment with the doctor this week. 

• healing7070hhealing7070 Posts: 4
    edited 06/24/2019 - 2:01 AM

I’m also 2 weeks out from my microdiscectomy (l4/l5) and I’m experiencing pretty much everything you are - except I also have numbness/weakness in my left calf and foot which makes walking slightly difficult. I know all of this is completely normal and it’s just the body healing - I know it can also take anywhere from 3 months to one year to get back to “normal”.  think positive 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

healing7070

Keep up the good attitude you have now, hopefully, it will get better. Below is the link for recovery, just in case you did not read it.

recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Everyone's "normal is different. Let's just hope your's does not take long.
    Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • healing7070

Thanks for your positive words. It boosts my confidence to stay strong. Hope we get back to normal and stronger soon. Take care of yourself!! 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.