advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

ACDF 4 weeks post op

Hello....I am four weeks post op today. I had a 3 disc fusion. I have not been taking pain meds or muscles relaxers. In the last few days the pain in my lower neck is awful. I have been overdoing it a bit so I guess I just need to rest. What was everyone else’s pain experience after 4 weeks?

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,233
    edited 07/15/2019 - 10:56 AM

Carf22

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum

Learn How to Use the Forum - Take the System Tutorial

You are still very early in recovery so what you are experiencing is pretty common, you also said you were overdoing quite a bit, that is not helping but I won't fuss at you about that as I have been accused of doing that myself, I also had a 3 level fusion, at 4 weeks I felt pretty good, but if I did too much I paid for it, just like you. I am posting a link below that will be helpful.

recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• THANK YOU the info. I had myself convinced I messed up the screws or something. 

• advertisement
  • I too am 4 weeks post-op this Friday, June 28th. I had ACDF of the C5-C7 with a plate with 6 screws. I had severe cord compression. I go back to my surgeon for my 6 week post-op visit on 7/18.

As of today, I have pain in the back of my neck which was not there before the surgery. That pain is my biggest complaint. The symptoms I had before the surgery are still present. My left hand will not open correctly; it struggles to open but it can close fine. I have pins and needles and loss of feeling on the insides of both hands. My surgeon said this can all improve over time.

I am still on pain meds, trying to ween off of them, but it's tough. Some days over the counter meds will not help. On a scale of 1-10 my pain level in my neck is about a 5. It's uncomfortable in any position. 

I understand recovery takes a long time. I thought I'd feel better than I do though. I'm a smoker and have diabetes which I know is not helping the matter. 

Sign In or Join Us to comment.