advertisement
advertisement

Deep gluteal syndrome

I have bilateral gluetes pain for the past 1.5 years. My MRI of pelvic area shows mild to moderate signal intensity changes around the sciatica nerve where it passes through in glutes region. My sports doctor saw my MRI and showed me a white line along the sciatica nerve in the glutes region on both sides and he told that it indicates inflammation along the nerves. Recently, I took a CT guided steriod injection to my nerve sheath. There was a slight improvement in pain for the first 3 days but then the pain returned with a little more intensity than before injection. So now I am in pain while sitting. I feel stressed and feel helpless to be honest. I am going to see my doc in about two weeks to provide feedback.  Anyone else going through this and/or found remedy?

advertisement

Comments

• Buttinpain, I'm not sure if it's the same but I have intense butt and sacral pain. I've been told it's piriformis syndrome. The sciatic nerve passes either under or through the piriformis muscles which are beneath the glutes.  There is info on this site about it if you would like to look it up. It's tough to get the piriformis to relax, the only thing I've found that helps is PT, various topical pain lotions and lidocaine patches and a hot tub if you have access to one. I also use alternating heat/ice packs. Mine is mostly triggered by SI joint instability. It's tough to sit for long periods of time and even laying on my back irritates it. I do have times where it's not so intense but I'm always aware of it and always use a cushion when I sit especially on a chair that is not padded. 

I hope your doctor can provide some good feedback and a good PT might help. Mine does ultrasound with cortisone and deep tissue massage. My heart goes out to you because I know what a pain in the butt it is! Please keep us posted. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,519

Below is a link I found (at the top of the page under Spine-Health: conditions) that may help you understand more.
    Piriformis Syndrome

• advertisement
  • joanne2

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I am working with a PT for my pain once a week. It helped and continue to help. But the pain is constant. It leads me to think that I am going to have this forever and would only get worse as it is not improving. This thought makes me get depressed and worried. I don't feel much hope at this point.

• Buttinpain, I sure understand and I have those thoughts too. It's very hard but I have to intentionally change my thinking to one day at a time, if I think things will always be this way, I WILL get depressed. I saw my pain management doctor recently and she said there wasn't any more she could do for me but if I worked at strengthening those muscles it would help. I left in tears but after a time of letting it all out I determined to move ahead as best I can. If you haven't already, I sure would suggest a Psychologist  who specializes in chronic pain, they are hard to find but my pain management doctor suggested the one I go to. It really has helped, we are body mind and spirit and one affects the other. Stress/depression affects our pain physiologically. I have also read books and everything I can get my hands on about the body/brain connection. I've learned some coping techniques that really do help. We can't do this alone, we need each other and we need help! Don't give into to those thoughts, hang on to hope. Please keep in touch, if it helps don't hesitate to message me, I'm here for you, we all are. Hugs 

• I've had success with Trigger Point injections.  Nothing the 1st & 2nd month but then month3 hips start to loosen up a little bit, month 4 a little bit more and by the 6th month, it feels SOOOO much better.  My doctor said she never saw it work in a cumulative way before and decided to try it for herself.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,519

buttinpain

My PM doctor suggested a pain psychologist for me. That is the best thing I have ever done. He has taught me how to think different and not let the pain take over my life. I know there are things I cannot do but there are things I can do by doing it different. 
    Don't give up. After all of the treatments and procedures I have had, I'm still trying to find the one that works.

We are always here, feel free to talk to us.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.