advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Deep gluteal syndrome

I have bilateral gluetes pain for the past 1.5 years. My MRI of pelvic area shows mild to moderate signal intensity changes around the sciatica nerve where it passes through in glutes region. My sports doctor saw my MRI and showed me a white line along the sciatica nerve in the glutes region on both sides and he told that it indicates inflammation along the nerves. Recently, I took a CT guided steriod injection to my nerve sheath. There was a slight improvement in pain for the first 3 days but then the pain returned with a little more intensity than before injection. So now I am in pain while sitting. I feel stressed and feel helpless to be honest. I am going to see my doc in about two weeks to provide feedback.  Anyone else going through this and/or found remedy?

advertisement

Comments

• Buttinpain, I'm not sure if it's the same but I have intense butt and sacral pain. I've been told it's piriformis syndrome. The sciatic nerve passes either under or through the piriformis muscles which are beneath the glutes.  There is info on this site about it if you would like to look it up. It's tough to get the piriformis to relax, the only thing I've found that helps is PT, various topical pain lotions and lidocaine patches and a hot tub if you have access to one. I also use alternating heat/ice packs. Mine is mostly triggered by SI joint instability. It's tough to sit for long periods of time and even laying on my back irritates it. I do have times where it's not so intense but I'm always aware of it and always use a cushion when I sit especially on a chair that is not padded. 

I hope your doctor can provide some good feedback and a good PT might help. Mine does ultrasound with cortisone and deep tissue massage. My heart goes out to you because I know what a pain in the butt it is! Please keep us posted. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,916

Below is a link I found (at the top of the page under Spine-Health: conditions) that may help you understand more.
    Piriformis Syndrome

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.