advertisement
advertisement

October 2019 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in October, 2019.

advertisement

Comments

• keekeekeekee AtlantaPosts: 12

ACDF scheduled for 10/24 . I am 57 .Had lumbar fusion 4 years ago .looking for oct surgery buddies. Thanks 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,124

keekee

Welcome to October Surgery Buddies!! Hang in there, there will be other members joining soon. Below are a couple of articles to help you out, getting prepared.

How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery

Rehabilitation After Spine Surgery

Take care and keep us posted.

• advertisement
  • leed2501lleed2501 Posts: 14
    edited 08/25/2019 - 4:23 PM

Orctober 4th I will be having T7/8 and T12/L1 fused. Both nervous and excited. I previously had a cervical disc replacement 10/2017, Left SI joint Fusion 10/2018, Right SI Joint Fusion 2/2019. Seems like October is my main surgery month. I was in 2 car accidents in 2017 which left me with several injuries to my spine. The 2 discs getting fused have been the most painful of all my injuries. I know recovery will be long and Slow I'm just happy the relief is possibly somewhere in the future. 

leed2501
    Welcome to Oct. Surgery Buddies.

Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery  

We have other members that have had long fusions, hopefully they will reply.
    Take care and Keep us posted
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• SunnyDoveSunnyDove Posts: 34
    edited 08/27/2019 - 9:47 AM

Hello October surgery buddies.  

I guess it’s time for another lumbar fusion for this 66 year old. I had a l4-l5 fusion 16 years ago and now I need the next level to be fused to stabilize my spine again. I am trying to prepare my body for surgery on October 23.  I have had 2 lumbar surgeries and 20 other misc. surgeries so I am an old ‘surgery warhorse’.  The nurses at the hospital actually remember me since I am there almost every year for one type of surgery or another.  

I will be getting rods and screws this time around and am a tad apprehensive but I have read the wonderful links provided on this forum. So much good information that wasn’t as easily available 16 years ago!  At least I have been through a previous fusion so I am prepared for the home recovery.  

As a Harpist I usually play therapeutic music for others but I think I will need to play for myself in the coming weeks and post surgery to help with pain. If I can’t sit I can at least stand to play. Hopefully I can play normally under the influence of post surgical pain meds and not get some goofy sounds…haha!  

• advertisement

SunnyDove

Welcome to October Surgery Buddies!! Please let us know the date of your surgery.
    I also had a lumbar fusion when I was 60 with rods, cages and screws. The best thing I did after surgery was go to rehab for a week. Six weeks after my surgery I was back to normal. I hope yours goes as well as mine did.

I think the harp is the most beautiful instrument. My husband build a dulcimer out of cedar for our daughter, so another fine instrument. Music can and will take you places.

Sandra

• memerainbolt

I updated my post with my surgery date.

Yes....I agree...rehab is important to improve recovery results. It is encouraging to hear your fusion went so well!  I try to keep a positive attitude going into my surgeries and try to do what is needed to recover well.  And a little Prayer never hurts either!

How nice to have a husband that can build a musical instrument!  I love the sound of dulcimers...especially the hammered ones.  

• Hello everyone, moving from August surgery buddies to October.  Had surgery scheduled for 26 August and it got cancelled due to what turned out to be two molars that I had previous root canals done by 2 different dentists that missed an extra root on each tooth that decided to become abscessed right before I was to have revision surgery for pseudarthrosis at C6/C7.   I've had 2 previous cervical surgeries, laminectomy C4/C5 and 3 level ACDF C4-C7, also numerous knee operations and a total knee replacement on my right knee.  My surgery, posterior fusion and laminectomy C6/C7 is scheduled for October 23.

davrunner

Welcome to Oct. Surgery Buddies! I'm so sorry you have to wait until the end of Oct. for your surgery. I know you are so ready to get this over with. I hope the tooth is better.
    Take care.

• davrunner

That is a bummer to have to wait longer for your surgery. I have my fusion surgery scheduled on the same day as you!   I once had a scheduled surgery delayed for a dental reason also. But it is a good thing you got it taken care of before your back procedure. You wouldn't wan't to deal with a tooth infection right after a surgery.  

I had to delay my back surgery to get both my knees replaced first. I was walking like a Frankenstein and making my back worse. I needed to be able to walk normally before having the fusion. That was a couple years ago. I am so happy to finally get the fusion I will have to resist the temptation to practically run into the operating room and hop onto the table just to 'get er done'!  

After I am well healed from my fusion I will need to have a foot surgery and after that a laser eye treatment.  If I were a car....they would call me a Lemon and send me to the junk yard....haha!  Hope you can stay healthy so you can get your surgery in October.  

I am praying we both get good results on the 23rd!

• SunnyDove, Yes it was a real bummer to be less than a week away had already did the precert at the hospital. I have been off the Butrans patch since early June in preparation to get better pain control after the surgery, Since the new date is less than 2 months I'll stay off of it, not easy but don't want to go through the withdrawals again, not fun. I have had my right knee replaced and will eventually need my left knee done..  I also have 4 levels of stenosis/ruptured discs in my lumbar spine but am no where near ready for that operation.  Hoping everyone gets the relief they are looking for.

• Thank you memerainbolt for the link to this site along with Chip for the information, I will definitely read them, I got a call from my dr that they are putting me on Forteo to strengthen my bones this could be interesting giving myself a shot every day.   If I am laying down and not doing anything, it hurts but not bad, but boy the minute I start trying to do something I have to stop.  Thank you for giving me a place to vent.  While I know that this is a tough battle, which I am gearing up for, I really feel confident in my sergeon and what he has planned.  But what I wanted to know from the forum is how long is the hospital stay.  I understand it  depends on if there are any problems, but worry about my husband, we live 40 miles away from the hospital I will be at.  As I mentioned I will go in for a ALFT on Oct 8 and then rods from my T4 to my tailbone.  Thanks so much for your thoughts

leed2501
    We all wish you the best of luck in surgery today. 
    Take care and please keep us posted.

dkolney
    Welcome to Oct. Surgery Buddies!! As far as the hospital stay, the best thing would be for you to talk to your surgeon, tell him the circumstances, and see what he says. Hopefully you ill have other replies.
    Take care

Sandra

• dkolney

Good luck with your Oct. 8 surgery. Your best bet as to length of hospital stay would be to discuss it with your Surgeon. My Surgeon said I would be in the hospital for a 2 or 3 night stay for my Lumbar Fusion. But it depends on how things go and how well I do with getting up and out of bed. You might not know till after the surgery what length of your stay might be.

We have a 2 1/2 hour drive from our hospital to home. I am worried about that part too. We will have to make frequent stops so I can stretch which means the actual drive will take longer. We will be staying in a Motel close to the hospital the night before. And if I don't feel up to the drive when I get out of the hospital (which is usually early afternoon) we may opt to stay at the Motel for another day before making the trip back home. And then leave in the morning. We are even considering renting a small RV so that I could lay down in the back on the drive home rather than have to sit in the car seat. So much to think about!

Let us know how it goes!
  • SpineyKD23SSpineyKD23 IllinoisPosts: 23

I’m a scheduled for a two level TLIF L4-L5-S1. Pending some insurance questions I’ll be having surgery on October 1st. I knew this surgery was coming eventually. I’ve had 4 microdiscectomies between 2010 and 2015. I hope this will give me the long term relief I’m looking for. 

SpineyKD23
    Welcome to October Surgery Buddies! I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. Hopefully this will give you relief from the pain. Below are some links that may help you out.

Take care ad keep us posted.

• Memerainbolt, thank you for sharing the links. I’ve been up this evening reading lots of them. My surgery has been confirmed for October 1st and I found out everything is in network for my insurance so I won’t owe a penny for anything! 

SpineyKD23

That's great that the insurance is paying all of it. I hate to see you go through this but at least you won't have to worry about the bill.

• I don't know if this qualifies as surgery, but I am scheduled for a trial SCS implant with leads at the high cervical area (C1/C2) with a high frequency external generator/battery (10,000 hertz frequency) on Oct 1st. If all goes per plan, the remainder of the implant (generator/battery) is scheduled for Oct 15.

• stiffneck

I hope the trial goes well and you find relief with it.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

stiffneck

Of course it's surgery!! And glad to have you. I hope everything goes as planned.
    Take care

• ACDF C5-C6 October 1st.  Super relieved to be getting relief from the arm pain and muscle spasms. 34, rheumatoid arthritis, had a chunk of disc at L5-S1 removed five years ago and 10/10 would do that one again-woke up with nerve pain totally gone and easiest surgery recovery ever. Went back to work nine days later. Hoping to have a similarly easy time with this one but fully expecting a longer recovery. 

spooky42

Welcome to Oct. surgery buddies. I also hope this surgery goes as well as the last one. Below is an article on ACDF surgery that may be helpful.

ACDF: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. The article outlines what to expect before, during, and after the procedure.

Sandra

• Spooky

Good luck with your surgery, I have had ACDF surgery, C4-C7, I have also had several lumbar surgeries, the cervical surgery was a lot easier for me than the lumbar.

Chip

• Hello October Surgery Buddies! I'm 41. I will be having a Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery in October 14th, never had a spine surgery before. Scary of course, and because of possible side effects and also I can't imagine how to be calm for 90 minutes on the table. I had 2 bunion surgeries in 2005 and 2006 and I still remember how hard it was. I heard a sounds of saw and hammer, it's horrible... How to stay calm? How to prepare my body/mind?

Hugs,

Nadya.

• Nadya

Welcome to surgery buddies.

I have had several spine surgeries, I don't remember a thing about any of them, unlike your bunion surgeries you will be completely under, they can't take the risk of you moving while operating on your spine.

Chip

Welcome Nadya!

I am sorry you are having to go through this.  Below are some links with a lot of good information that will help you out.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask., someone will answer.
    Sandra

• Hello all, i’m 62, and am scheduled Oct 30 for a C3-C7 posterior fusion and laminectomy. As this will be my first major surgery and overnight stay in a hospital, think I’m in for an interesting time.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.