advertisement
advertisement

October 2019 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in October, 2019.

advertisement

Comments

• keekeekeekee AtlantaPosts: 12

ACDF scheduled for 10/24 . I am 57 .Had lumbar fusion 4 years ago .looking for oct surgery buddies. Thanks 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,762

keekee

Welcome to October Surgery Buddies!! Hang in there, there will be other members joining soon. Below are a couple of articles to help you out, getting prepared.

How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery

Rehabilitation After Spine Surgery

Take care and keep us posted.

• advertisement
  • leed2501lleed2501 Posts: 11
    edited 08/25/2019 - 4:23 PM

Orctober 4th I will be having T7/8 and T12/L1 fused. Both nervous and excited. I previously had a cervical disc replacement 10/2017, Left SI joint Fusion 10/2018, Right SI Joint Fusion 2/2019. Seems like October is my main surgery month. I was in 2 car accidents in 2017 which left me with several injuries to my spine. The 2 discs getting fused have been the most painful of all my injuries. I know recovery will be long and Slow I'm just happy the relief is possibly somewhere in the future. 

leed2501
    Welcome to Oct. Surgery Buddies.

Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery  
    How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery

We have other members that have had long fusions, hopefully they will reply.
    Take care and Keep us posted
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• SunnyDoveSunnyDove Posts: 33
    edited 08/27/2019 - 9:47 AM

Hello October surgery buddies.  

I guess it’s time for another lumbar fusion for this 66 year old. I had a l4-l5 fusion 16 years ago and now I need the next level to be fused to stabilize my spine again. I am trying to prepare my body for surgery on October 23.  I have had 2 lumbar surgeries and 20 other misc. surgeries so I am an old ‘surgery warhorse’.  The nurses at the hospital actually remember me since I am there almost every year for one type of surgery or another.  

I will be getting rods and screws this time around and am a tad apprehensive but I have read the wonderful links provided on this forum. So much good information that wasn’t as easily available 16 years ago!  At least I have been through a previous fusion so I am prepared for the home recovery.  

As a Harpist I usually play therapeutic music for others but I think I will need to play for myself in the coming weeks and post surgery to help with pain. If I can’t sit I can at least stand to play. Hopefully I can play normally under the influence of post surgical pain meds and not get some goofy sounds…haha!  

• advertisement

SunnyDove

Welcome to October Surgery Buddies!! Please let us know the date of your surgery.
    I also had a lumbar fusion when I was 60 with rods, cages and screws. The best thing I did after surgery was go to rehab for a week. Six weeks after my surgery I was back to normal. I hope yours goes as well as mine did.

I think the harp is the most beautiful instrument. My husband build a dulcimer out of cedar for our daughter, so another fine instrument. Music can and will take you places.

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainbolt

I updated my post with my surgery date.

Yes....I agree...rehab is important to improve recovery results. It is encouraging to hear your fusion went so well!  I try to keep a positive attitude going into my surgeries and try to do what is needed to recover well.  And a little Prayer never hurts either!

How nice to have a husband that can build a musical instrument!  I love the sound of dulcimers...especially the hammered ones.  

• Hello everyone, moving from August surgery buddies to October.  Had surgery scheduled for 26 August and it got cancelled due to what turned out to be two molars that I had previous root canals done by 2 different dentists that missed an extra root on each tooth that decided to become abscessed right before I was to have revision surgery for pseudarthrosis at C6/C7.   I've had 2 previous cervical surgeries, laminectomy C4/C5 and 3 level ACDF C4-C7, also numerous knee operations and a total knee replacement on my right knee.  My surgery, posterior fusion and laminectomy C6/C7 is scheduled for October 23.

davrunner

Welcome to Oct. Surgery Buddies! I'm so sorry you have to wait until the end of Oct. for your surgery. I know you are so ready to get this over with. I hope the tooth is better.
    Take care.

• davrunner

That is a bummer to have to wait longer for your surgery. I have my fusion surgery scheduled on the same day as you!   I once had a scheduled surgery delayed for a dental reason also. But it is a good thing you got it taken care of before your back procedure. You wouldn't wan't to deal with a tooth infection right after a surgery.  

I had to delay my back surgery to get both my knees replaced first. I was walking like a Frankenstein and making my back worse. I needed to be able to walk normally before having the fusion. That was a couple years ago. I am so happy to finally get the fusion I will have to resist the temptation to practically run into the operating room and hop onto the table just to 'get er done'!  

After I am well healed from my fusion I will need to have a foot surgery and after that a laser eye treatment.  If I were a car....they would call me a Lemon and send me to the junk yard....haha!  Hope you can stay healthy so you can get your surgery in October.  

I am praying we both get good results on the 23rd!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.