advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

December 2019 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in December, 2019.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi

Just found out I'm having PLIF S1-L5 December 5th. With any luck this will help my 2+ years of chronic leg/back pain and get me back to work. 

• Hi Phlepman,  Looks like you are going to be the first person posting for December  Surgery Buddies!   This will be my 6th back surgery (scheduled for December 11th). Not sure if I have having my 3 level fusion hardware removed or having another level up fused.  Scheduled for MRI & CT scan next week.  If I can offer you any advice or help on your upcoming surgery please just ask.  Been there a few times already.   I had a 2 level APLIF in 2013 that eventually ended up having complications.  But complications are rare. It’s the recovery that can be tricky.  There is wonderful advice and insights on this website.  I found it amazingly helpful mentally for the process of pre/post surgery, and recovery.

Regard, LeeLee

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,718

Phelbman

I apologize for the late Welcome but Welcome to Surgery Buddies. Below are some articles that will help you get ready for surgery and recovery.

Questions to Ask Your Spine Surgeon Video
    How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery Video
    Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery.

I hope this surgery relieves your pain.
    Sandra
    Veritas Forum Health Moderator

LeeLee

Welcome to Dec. Surgery Buddies!!  But I'm sorry for the reason, especially this being your 6th. I just can't imagine. We have a library of articles and videos on surgery, recovery and setting up your home. Some are above but if you need any thing to read just let me know.

Sandra

• Scheduled for December 5 - I will have a 2 level lumbar fusion (L4-S1) or a hybrid fusion...insurance will determine which one.  

• advertisement

duganx6

Welcome to surgery buddies. I'm sorry you have to go thru this but hopefully this surgery will relieve your pain.

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra

• I am scheduled Dec. 23rd for ALIF on L5-S1. This is my first (and hopefully only) fusion, after 9 years of a struggle. It's nice to find others who are in a similar situation.

• Oscarsmom

Welcome to surgery  buddies, here's a link that may be helpful

How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery Video

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

Oscarsmom

Welcome!!! I am so sorry you had to go through 9 yrs. of having spinal issues. Hopefully this surgery will help. We have a library full of article and videos, just let us know if you need any.

Sandra

• Scheduled for ACDF C6-C7 on Dec 9. NS will be using a ROI-C cervical cage. Anyone with prior surgery with ROI-C comments? Thanks

pfb0417

Welcome to Dec. surgery buddies! Below are some articles for you to read that may help you out.

Neck and Back Surgery Health Center
     How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery,
     Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Scheduled for ACDF C3-C5 Dec. 2nd....This will be my 3rd spine surgery...C5-C7 in 2017 and L5-S1 in 2018...Im really praying that this surgery takes care of my severe neck pain and headaches...Im also curious on what they will do with the synovial cyst I have on C3...

• Good Morning, I’m scheduled for TLIF surgery December 26th on L-5/S-1. I’ve been reading thru a lot of your comments and there are a lot of good advice. 

LauraBSD12 and hluff911!!

Welcome to Dec. Surgery Buddies!! Below is a ;ink for more information.
    Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery

Keep us posted
    Sandra

pfb0417

After your surgery yesterday, we would like to wish you a speedy recovery.
    Please keep us posted.

LeeLeeMccDes
    Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and the beginning of your recovery. Take care and please keep us posted.

• Hi, I’m  scared out of my mind. I am having ACDF Dec 27th for C4 to C7 and maybe T1. Concerned with driving issues afterwards as I’m very independent. I have a husband and great daughters to help me but I don’t want to rely on people. Scared I won’t have much mobility. 

• TFoster

Welcome, I had the same surgery in Feb. 2018, I was back driving after 4 weeks, at first my neck mobility was still a little limited, but after physical therapy things loosened up and I have no problem at all driving.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Hey guys

I'm going in for a fusion dec 30th. A little nervous but anxious at the same time. Tired of being in pain constantly. 

• Mopar

Welcome

Welcome Mopar!!

Read the links above, there is a lot of good information there.

• I get L3-S1 ALIF on the 18th.  Still wondering if it will be worth it on the other side of this.  I found out clotting is a higher risk than I had thought.  Am using the links above to get ready for post-op.  This site has been very helpful.

slackback

Welcome!!  Check out Oct. Surgery Buddies too. There is a lot of really good information there from members from surgery through recovery.
    October 2019 Surgery Buddies

Sandra

Hey everyone!!

Just checking in to see how ya'll are doing. When you feel like it, please keep us posted.

Oscarsmom

We all wish you the best on your surgery tomorrow and the start of your recovery.
    Keep us posted when you feel up to it.

Sandra

• I'm very looking forward to having this all behind me.

My left foot is swollen because I'm putting my weight on and off my bad leg. My feet hurt and I barely sleep. My sciatica has gotten worse and I'm very scared of the surgery I'm going to have. I wouldnt wish this in anybody. I will keep you posted after my surgery. 

• Mopar

Good luck on the 30th, keep a good attitude and take your recovery very seriously

Chip

• Absolutely. I plan on being very diligent about it. I dont ever want to go through this again.

Mopar

Good luck!! Time and patience is the key. I hope this relieves all of your pain.
    Sandra

• My L4-S1 fusion was finally done on 12/11.  It was a mini 360 (ALIF and PLIF) lumbar fusion.  I have a 9 inch incision in my abdomen and two 4 inch incisions in my low back.  I stayed in the hospital 1 night and was discharged late the next day.  When I got home, my pain wasn't controlled so I had to contact the on-call physician.  He made some significant changes to the dosages and timing for each medication.  After a round at the new levels, my pain was finally under control.  I've stayed on those dosages until the last few days when I've felt like I can let an additional hour or 2 pass before medicating.  My pain is lower except when I try to get up from laying down, sitting or reclining...the movement causes a sharp, stabbing pain in my left low back/buttock area.  This pain is so intense but gets better after I walk around for a bit.  I've also found I have numbness in my legs when I stand up after sitting down.  The abdominal swelling/bloating is pretty intense....I gained 20 pounds from the time I was admitted to the next day when I weighed myself at home.  I can't explain any of that and it's so frustrating because the sweatpants I was going to use during recovery are very tight around my incisions.  I will see my doctor for my first post-op appointment next week.  

duganx6

Thank you for the update. Keeping your pain under control will help the heal process. Below is a link to 3 articles that may help you out.
    Spinal Fusion Surgery Recovery: 1 to 4 Weeks After

Postoperative Care for Spinal Fusion Surgery,

Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery

Take care, it's still early. Keep us posted on your recovery.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.