advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Leg cramps and weakness post revision micro d

HI, looking for people to share their experience with me . I have severe ddd at l5s1 and have had two microdiscectomies done 2 years apart at that level  ( first in 2017 and then second in  2019).  I have never had any back pain and all my symptoms were in my leg .  Am six weeks out .  I still have cramping leg while walking and standing any length of time is torture because my leg is painfully weak .  Been doing my pt and trying to increase my walk. I thankfully didn’t have foot drop and don’t have any numbness either . Is there anyone who had a lot of muscular cramps trying to walk / stand  in the affected leg and how long did it take to start reducing ? 

advertisement

Comments

• l5s1ddd

Welcome to Spine Health

I have had leg cramps after a couple of my back surgeries, when I talked to the surgeon about it he said that when the nerves were decompressed it takes the muscles and nerves a little time to learn what to do again, at least that was his theory, anyway the cramps lasted about 2 months.

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Thank you very much for your  . I am very nervous , depressed and scared so I am hoping for whatever moral support I can get . Pain is really bearable when I am lying down . In fact I have some knee weakness that’s all / but activity starts hurting the leg . I guess like you said it takes time for the nerves and muscles to re adjust . I pray I have no further surgeries . It takes a mental toll . I go back to work Monday and hope to be able to manage my workdays 

• advertisement
  • At 6 weeks you are still early on, we all heal different, during surgery, nerves were decompressed, moved, stretched and muscles were cut, the only thing that will heal all of that is time, prescribed exercises and patience with patience being the hardest part, most surgeons consider 1 year healing time as normal, so unless something really changes it sounds like you are doing pretty good.

When you go back to work be mindful of what you are doing and how you do it, you will most likely find that it will not be that bad and actually be good for you, being out of the house and around your co workers will help your mood.

Take care and keep us posted.

Chip 

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Thank you so much for your kind words chip. I can see you’ve gone through so much yourself . May God continue to give you the strength to help others 

• Thank you, I hope work goes well for you on Monday, take care to not overdo.

Chip  

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.