advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Problems sitting for a length of time

I sat on a plastic chair in my work kitchen for about 20 minutes having a sandwich and when I got up I had low back pain, spasms in my low back on the belt line, and it hurt for 2 days. My doctor is treating me for SI joint problems so I've been wearing a SI compression belt for 4 weeks so far. I have also had an xray of my coccyx and looks pretty normal. I sit on a cushion at my desk or I would not be able to have a job. I don't know if a disc could cause this problem or not. Please let me know if anyone is experiencing similar problems. 

advertisement

Comments

• I can't sit in a hard straight chair for any length of time and I don't think many spinal patients can either, if we go out to eat and sit at a table there is not much conversation afterwards, eat and go or my back kills me

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072

@lefty16

Like Chip said doing almost anything for extended periods of time can lead to some extra discomfort.

I can not sit too long, lay down too long, stand too long, etc

It seems for me the magic number before  I have to get up and move is 45 minutes

• advertisement
  • I have issues too.  Love going to the grandkids school programs, recitals, etc.  Problem is you often have to sit on bleachers or folding chairs which are both miserable for me!

It can cause sciatica for me and because I broke my tailbone many years ago, that still flares up at times.  And when it does, it will be sore for maybe a week where every time I sit or stand i feel it pull and it hurts!  My PM sent me to an Ortho once and he said the only thing that will stop that is to remove the tailbone altogether.  Yeah. I don't think that's happening!  Long car rides are an issue too.  I have to get out and move around every 45 minutes to an hour.  That doesn't go over well with my male counterpart!

Good to know I'm not alone.

Cindy

• Well it seems that 45 minutes is the magic number for  most of us. If I ignore the pain and sit longer, I pay big time with a throbbing sacrum and piriformis spasms. If I go out to eat I shamelessly carry my cushions in with me. If anyone has the perfect cushion, let me know, lol. I've spent so much money trying to find one that lets me sit more comfortably but still use a padded seat cushion. I can't lay down for long without getting up and moving around, makes sleeping interesting. I often wonder what it's like to have a comfortable body, it's been awhile. Each day has it's own challenges for a Spiney but we press on, right? Hope this lets you know you are not alone lefty and if I were you, I'd get that checked out further sooner rather than later. Keep us posted. 

• Thank you for sharing, some times I feel I'm the only person with a crappy spine. Then I read this forum and I know my problems are very minor compared to a lot of other people. I'm sorry we are all going through this back stuff. If I had one super power in this world it would be to heal back problems. 

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.