advertisement
advertisement

Acupuncture

I had a spinal fusion of L5-S1 last June. I did not recover well and my nerves are still in burning pain down my left leg. I have tried spinal injections with absolutely no results. Today I had acupuncture and it was hands down the most painful thing I have experienced in a long time. It was a dull but stabbing pain accompanied by nerve pain jolting down my leg. I was crying the whole time. Is this normal? I like to think I have a high pain tolerance but this was something I have never experienced before. I’m not sure what the next step is to take. I have no idea what other pain management techniques there are.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,417

aab1022

I never had acupuncture but always wanted to. I was also under the impression that it was not painful, just little sticks. That was the information I got from my PM doctor.
    But I have had injections and Medrol packs for inflammation,which do help me. I've also had a caudal block, which worked better than anything. If it were me, I would go over with my PM doctor what is available and go from there.

Take care.

• I have had several acupuncture treatments, none of them were ever painful, I barely even knew when the needles were put in.

Chip

• advertisement
  • charryccharry Posts: 104
    edited 07/18/2019 - 9:50 PM

some nerve pain meds helped my sciatica, like first I was on amitriptyline then Lyrica but only small dose as I had many side effects,I had one person do acupuncture and it was good but she went on holidays and her replacement Physio it was painful made my leg bleed. It may depend on who does it. 

Get a good Pain Management Dr. at a hospital, There may be an answer for your pain. Don't give up. Charry

• I was also under the impression this would be nothin but small sticks. The needles were placed in pretty deep and then moved around and I was struggling to keep it together during the process. I am worried I am running out of options. I’m only 19 and really don’t want to spend the rest of my life in chronic pain. My PM doctor told me my most recent MRI shows that I have developed osteoarthritis. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.