advertisement
advertisement

Complicatinons after knee surgery

hi.  I am new to this forum, and looking for some advice.  I tried contacting a second orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion, but he said it is too soon after my surgery.  I had a torn miniscus trimmed on May th.  The pain was improving each day, and then just over a eek after the surgery the pain went up to a 9 even when sitting or lying down.  I went to the ER with no relief, and saw my surgeon two days later.  He said I needed a surgery to clean it out because I had an infection.  I had that surgery on the 12th of June, and was started on oral antibiotics after a day in the hospital getting IV antibiotics.  I took the oral antibiotics for about 12 days, and I was having a lot t of symptoms that seemed like a reaction so I saw my primary care doctor.  He determined that I was having a reaction, and my kidney function was way down, so I was admitted to the hospital for a week.  I have been on IV antibiotics at home three times a day since I was released. It is not the 22ndof July, and ,y pan when I stretch the leg or put any weight on it is worse than it was before the first surgery. I can’t walk without crutches or a walker.  I was wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences, or if anybody can tell me if this is normal.  My surgeon tells me the pain is from arthritis, which I knew I had, but if that were true I would expect it to be the same as it was before surgery, not worse.  Please let me know what you think.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 2,416

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum Erised2019

Having had many surgeries in my opinion knee surgery is the worst, my recovery took time because of the mount of nerves in that area. I have posted a link about this surgery that maybe useful

https://www.sports-health.com/sports-injuries/knee-injuries/recovering-meniscus-repair-surgery

New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,773

Erised2019

I am so sorry you are still in so much pain and have had so many problems. I do hope they have gotten the infection under control.
    I have not had knee surgery, just spine surgeries, but I have RA and Osteo. I take mild ant-inflammatory meds to keep the inflammation down, as that alone can cause a lot of pain.

Please take care and let us know how you are doing.

• advertisement
  • Thank you for the advice.  I see the infectious disease doctor tomorrow, and will know then if the infection is under control.  I can’t take the anti-inflammatory medicine right now as they think that may have contributed to my kidney problems, so I am stuck with Tylenol and what the doctor prescribed.  The problem is, he cut the strength and also changed it from every 4 hours to every 8 hours, so it is not helping with the pain.  I have an appointment with another orthopedic surgeon Thursday for a second opinion so hopefully I will know more after that.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,773

I think if I would be in your shoes, I would get a second opinion too.
    Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

• Well, I got my second opinion, and had an MRI done.  He found that I have a loose piece of cartilage floating around in my knee.  It is 10mm by 5mm, and will require surgery to remove it, so I am currently waiting for my insurance company to approve the surgery.  At this point, I am seriously considering contacting a lawyer, as I should not have had all of these complications from a supposedly minor and routine surgery.

• advertisement
  •  I had a similar situation as well. I was told the same thing about cleaning the arthritis out. I got lucky though they saw the torn meniscus and the floating cartilage . Not that it made any difference I was still in severe pain several weeks later. That's when the Dr. said a tkr was really my only option. That was 1 year ago this month now I have screws backing out, the right side of my knee feels like a sharp metal plate is about to break through my skin any time I bend it and straighten it out. I've also had the worst Sciatica attacks ever since my surgery. 
     If I knew then what I know now I would've chosen to live with pain from the first surgery. I wish you well dear God Bless you. I hope you can avoid having a knee replacement.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.