advertisement
advertisement

Toe Fusion

I haven't been around for several weeks now.  But there was something I wanted to post.

I am going in for a toe fusion next month.   Never heard of a toe fusion before!  In fact, there is a surgery that inserts an artificial disc like item between the joints..   That is not the surgery for me, because the podiatrist says my condition is too far gone.   Just like in Shoulder/Hip/Knee xrays, you can see where there is nothing between the joints, just bone on bone.

I will be in a non-weight bearing condition for 6 to 8 weeks and then about 15 weeks of total recovery.   I've talked to my hip and back surgeon about this, and both of them said, that toe surgery can be the worse thing for people with spinal problems.   When not done correctly, it can be a life long situation that will just add to any chronic spinal problem or start new ones.  I have a good surgeon , recommended by several of my doctor friends.

I would have added this to Ron's History of surgeries,  that spanned 40 years and I've been updating it for the past 8 years.  Unfortunately , that was removed.  I just couldn't see trying to recreate that all over again.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their summer, its been HOT in the NorthEast,  don't know how our international members  weather is right now .    

My sincere hope that everyone is having the most pain free situation that you can be in.   Trust in the medical field, while at times it may be frustrating, but in the end, your best interest will be satisfied.

advertisement

Comments

• Ron

Good luck with your surgery, I know a man that had a toe fusion, his went really well and I hope your's does also

Chip

• I know of Toe Fusion just because my Mother and her side of the family have so many feet problems.  Several of my Aunts and Uncles had the surgery with no problems that I know of.  I will certainly be praying that it goes well for you.  Been thinking of you lately just wondering how things are going.  When is surgery for you?

Cindy

• advertisement
  • Hi Ron! I need to have that surgery and have been avoiding it for the reasons you mentioned. I can't even imagine being on crutches but I'm kind of out of options. I've been wrapping it (big toe) with mole skin for years to keep it splinted, not the best solution by any means. Anyway please keep us posted, I'll be curious to see how it goes, praying it goes well! 

Joanne 

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 271

Right now, my surgery should be within the first two weeks of Sept. Honestly, I wish I could have it done tomorrow. I am constantly limping, which throws my osteoarthritis done knee off, which in turn throws my back out.

So, fix the toe, then worry later about my knee.

Joanne, today, the doctor ask me if I could us crutches, I told him no, I am a total basketcase when it comes to crutches, but I do have passing grades on Knee Walkers, Rollators, and Walkers.   I guess that just happens over the years with multiple surgeries.

Cindy, its always good to hear positive results

• LizLiz Posts: 2,417

Ron

Good Luck with the surgery.

Please take it easy and rest.

• advertisement

Liz,  thanks

Just had my pre-surgical appointment.  I have my knee scooter and ready to go.  09/12 is the date...  It will be about 6 weeks before I can start to walk or put any weight on my foot.

Should be fun

• LizLiz Posts: 2,417

Ron

I remember you having to use that scooter before when you had surgery. I hope the surgery is successful.

Sounds horrific to me, I had the start of an  ingrown toenail a few weeks back and I thought that was bad.

• Ron

I hope everything goes well and your recovery is easy

Chip

Thanks Chip

I think the hardest part will be using the knee scooter.  Ive used one before when I had the Achilles surgery, but this time my right knee is also shot along with the right toe.   So, I have to bend at the knee to use the scooter...

This should prove to be interesting

• Ron

Bring that thing over to the house, I have a spare Briggs & Stratton we could mount on it.

Chip

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.