advertisement
advertisement

Back pain

Im new to the site. Ive had 4 spi e surgeries t1 discotomy may2017,removed a piece of the disc at l4 that was on my nerve to my right leg September 2017 while the surgeon was doing the procedure it collapsed on the left side so i woke up in more pain than i went in for but i always felt like something was catching or wrong on my pelvic area with severe nerve pain going down both legs throbbing and burning. 2 weeks after that surgery i had another mri and thats when they found the disc had collapsed and the l4 l5 vertebra slipped on each other and had my nereves pinched to my legs so a plif was scheduled for march 2018. After that i was ok for about 6 weeks and the more walking they wanted me doing the more my legs started throbbing and going numb again. As time went on it got worse and i had another MRI but the only thing showing was disc height between l3 l4 l5 s1 was diminished . My neurosurgeon ordered a disco gram and come to find out the other 2 disc were gone from the i side out but the MRI's didnt show it so in December 19 2018 i had to go back in and get another fusion from l3- s1 with a redo of l4 l5 due to severe scar tissue but i still hadd the pain in my legs and hips. Now i just had my left si joint fused and i am having terrible pain in my butt and back of thigh is this normal

advertisement

Comments

• kyle33

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum, glad you joined us, you will find a lot of members here that have similar experiences as your's, if you would, please take a look at the code of conduct

You have been through a lot of serious surgeries in a short period of time, things have not had time to calm down in between surgeries, you didn't say when your last surgery was, but it sounds like it was recent, it takes time for the nerves to heal after surgery and hopefully that is what is causing your pain. I know you have become an old pro at recovery, but I am posting a link below that may be helpful.

Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• skilletsskillet Cincinnati, OHPosts: 54

Yes, very normal. Your muscles can get very tight trying to protect your body from further injury and also as a result of the surgery. For SI joint surgery patients, the piriformis muscles are some of the most affected by all this. When they get tight they can put pressure on the sciatic nerve and cause butt and leg pain. Talk to your doctor before beginning any sort of stretching routine, but it’s important to start stretching (very light to begin with) as soon as you’re cleared to do so to keep the muscles and fascia moving like they should.

• advertisement
  • Sorry yes eveytime i turned around my back was going out. Ive done landscaping 20yrs and heavy equipment operator also. I dont think i said my age im 40yr old male. My left si joint fusion surgery was on August 9th 2019 and as soon as it heals my right side will be done. 

• Kyle

I hope things are calming down a little bit, you are only 5 days out of surgery, follow all of the surgeons instructions and have patience, that is the hard part.

Chip

• kyle33kkyle33 Posts: 5
    edited 08/14/2019 - 8:20 PM

Thanks chip. Unfortunately things havent got better at the moment my leg feels like it could be cut off and it wouldnt hurt any worse than now it terrible. Im doing every thing they told me ice heat rest get up and move around and nothings working. I know itll get better i just wasnt expecting this to be worse than my l3-s1 fusion but the nerves in my legs have hurt me since the first slipped disc. Had a emg done and he said the nerves in my legs are not responding right and probably never will. Just looking for some relief my meds arent helping at the moment 

• advertisement
  • I understand exactly where you are at, I had surgery in November 2018 on T12-L1, really had no leg pain before surgery, woke up in recovery with both legs hurting and a cold right foot, it took about a month to start calming down and 4 months before it really felt better, right foot still cold, nerves take a long time to heal, doctor upped my dosage of the nerve medication, that helped.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.