advertisement
advertisement

What do I have to do to switch to a new PM Doctor?

Any suggestions would be helpful. The PM I am currently with has a horrible bedside manor, and he does not listen to me. Every time I go to see him it turns into an argument, just to get him to stop pounding his chest and listen to what I am saying to him. I have signed a contract with him already which was done before I ever met the guy. He drives me crazy and I want OUT of his practice. Please help.

Chris

advertisement

Comments

• Write him a letter stating that you are terminating your care under him effective xx/xx/2019 and deliver it to his office. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,489

If it were me, the first thing I would do is read my contract to see if it states how you can get out of it. The, as Sandi stated, write him a letter. But I would make a copy and have someone sign that they received it before I left. 
    Be professional!!

• advertisement
  • Ok I will do that. Thank you for the advice.

Chris

• Maybe this is just me but I don't think a doctor can force you to sign a contract stating you cannot leave his/her care if your unhappy. That said and depending on your insurance also you need to get with your primary provider and have them refer you to another pain doc. Just because the person is a jerk does not make them a bad doc so really think your decision through. Most people and lets be honest here want to leave their current pain doc because they don't get the meds that they think they need or deserve. In todays world that is not a good thing for that matter leaving a pain doc for a 'bad" reason may follow you around so one again, Think.  Good luck!

• Yeah, Jerseymike has a good point. I'm not fond of my PM docs demeanor but she is a good doctor and very straight forward. I don't even have a contract with her, it's with my Primary, but the thought of finding a new one and the problems that might arise are daunting. I've just learned if I am quiet and listen to what she has to say first, she is more likely to listen. That doesn't mean she will change her mind, lol, but we don't end up butting heads. I sure don't pretend to know your situation and it may be you need to make a change but I'd try being humble but honest with him first about how you feel. I try to remember that PM docs are constantly dealing with people in pain every day and generally that means stress. I'm not defending them being nasty but trying to walk in their shoes a bit. Let us know how things work out, I wish you the best. 

Joanne 

• advertisement
  • Hi there, the thing to check with your Contract involves your medications.  You always have the right to fire your doctor.  But, like anything else which involves a contract, read it closely to see if there is anything regarding surrendering of medications or other unsavory events.  It wouldn't hurt to check with your insurance company or workers comp company if that is applicable.

Keith

• Thank you all for the advice. I suppose I will give him another shot at trying to control my pain. I really do not want any more spinal punctures. He gave me four shots at my last procedure on the right side of my lumbar. They did not work at all. Just as I told him they wouldn't. Well, now he wants to do the left side. Which is not really where my pain is located. Can I get anyone's suggestions on how I can tell him that I don't want to go thru this again? I have had many shots since my surgery in 2016 and not one of them have worked. Also I read a few articles that stated the more spinal punctures you have, the greater chance you have of possibly developing arachnoiditis. Which I certainly don't want. Again I thank you all for helping me.

Chris

Chris

When my PM doctor makes a suggestion that I don't want to do I just tell him. And then I ask what are the other options? This is my body and if I don't want injections I tell him. Another option he will always do is a Medrol Pack to calm the inflammation down.

Good luck and take care.

• Thank you memrainbolt!!! As always you are my guardian angel and voice of reason. I appreciate you.

Chris

That was sweet, thank you! Look at it this way, if you took your car to a shop for an oil change and they wanted to put 4 new tires, what would you say? 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.