advertisement
advertisement

2 Questions.... 1 about a pain pump

First, I’ve been thinking about talking to my doctor about a pain pump and was just curious about any info anyone could share.

I’m currently taking Vicodin 10mg 4x a day but it is not properly managing my pain. Before the Vicodin I was taking Dilaudid 2 mg 3-4x a day in early 2018, but my PM wanted me to try decreasing my meds down to the Vicodin. He put me on 5mg 3 times a day but that has gradually increased to the 10mg dose I mentioned at the outset. 

My quality of life is greatly impacted by my pain. I work PT (10-12 hrs a week) but that’s about all I feel up to doing. I’m fused at L5-S1 (2013) and bulging at L4 and L3 but I find the majority of my pain is in my SI joint. And I’ve tried shots and RFAs. The first 2 RFAs worked beautifully for a year each but I’m not getting relief from the last one I had done (March 2019). 

I want a better quality of life. I’m only 45. My main reason for leaning towards the pump is that I’d like a pain management approach where I wasn’t always thinking “when can I take my next pill? How many have I taken today?, etc. I’d also like to wake up in the morning w/out severe pain and aching in my SI joint. 

(Q2) But having said all that, I’m also wondering if it wouldn’t just be better to go back to the Dilaudid. I had stayed at that dose without increasing for 2 years.

Big thanks

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,774

Welcome bubcohen1, we are glad you are here!

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You’ll find a number of informative resources in the Pain Management Health Center on Spine-health, including doctor-authored articles about Cold Laser TherapyElectrotherapyNerve Blocks, and Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS). I hope you find these resources helpful.

I had a Medtroncis pain pump implanted in Jan. 2017 using morphine. Any kind of narcotics were not working and I was out of options as I m not a candidate for surgery.  I have herniated and bulging disc from L1-L6, spinal stenosis, DDD, scoliosis plus other spinal issues. As I was waiting to get the pump turned on I was also weaning off of all the meds I was on. By the time the pump was started I was just on morphine. And yes, not having to keep track of the clock anymore is nice. 

I also have a Personal Therapy Manager, a small remote device that I can get extra every 2 hrs. if I need it. But it does not cover SI joint nerve pain. I have to have injections and/or Medrol Packs for that. The pump only covers the spine. Finding the right dose has been a journey, some refills I have it increased some I don't. You just have to find your tolerance level.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.