advertisement
advertisement

What techniques have helped you cope with chronic pain?

VeritasZachVVeritasZach Posts: 38
edited 09/11/2019 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain

Coping with chronic pain is a lifelong challenge for many people. In recognition of Pain Awareness Month, I wanted to share some of the chronic pain resources available on Spine-health, Arthritis-health, and Pain-health. 

Understanding Chronic Pain

11 Chronic Pain Control Techniques

Confronting 5 Hard Truths about Chronic Pain

Coping with Chronic Pain and Insomnia

Treatment Options for Chronic Pain

What techniques have helped you cope with chronic pain?

advertisement

Comments

• Thank you!

• I know we all have different ways of coping with pain, the 1 thing that helps me the most is keeping my mind occupied with something, games, books or anything that helps  me not think about the pain, it doesn't always help, but does anything.

Chip

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,489

Like Chip, I keep my mind occupied and mostly with the forum. It makes me humble at times and sad to see so many people in pain all of the time. And of course I always think I've got it worse until someone else comes along.
    Sewing has always been my passion. I keep projects out and try to work on them when I can. I'm going to be in pain no matter what I do so it might as well be something constructive.

I also see a psychologist which has helped so much with the anxiety, depression and anger that pain can cause.  I still use his techniques to help me get through a rough day.

Thank you Zach for bringing this subject to light. I can't wait to see how other members are coping.

Zach

Thank you for the 5 links you sent. I hope everyone takes the time to read them, all very informative.

• Mindfullness

Learning to not let the mind and emotions dwell on the pain,sensation of pain or dread if pain (catastrophising)

Study the pain, know it so you wont fear it. Act on what you learn so you can change behavior....live between bouts.

Divert your mind(transference) so you can defocus on the misery.

Dont just sit there...keep a mind lively and body as supple as you can...your creating the conditions for your future as we speak.

Learn positive coping skills..mind,body and spirit. 

Create and maintain a positive mental balance..fight aggravating things with mitigating things..think positive to fight the darkness and build that skill everyday.

This is not THE end...it is AN end....you have stopped being able to be and do certain things..but not the end of you as a valuable person.dont dwell with the ego on what was..concentrate on making what is the best possible outcome.

Dont give up

Dont give in

• advertisement

William

You are right, mindfulness, is such an important skill to learn.
    One think I have learned is to be thankful every day for 3 things and write them in your journal. Go back and read them a few months later and see how blessed you are. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.