advertisement
advertisement

Can fibromyalgia make you feel hungry all the time?

My psychiatrist (who is also a neurologist) just recently diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. About two months before this diagnosis, I've been feeling hungry all the time. He thinks it's binge eating disorder. I know this may seem a trivial matter considering the symtoms that are definitely due to fibromyalgia, but I wanted to know if this could be part of fibromyalgia. Has anyone experienced this?

advertisement

Comments

• I am hungry all the time, but have not had such diagnosis although have similar symptoms...docs think it was an infection and I have been feeling less and less pain, but other symptoms don't want to disappear.

• Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,382
    edited 09/17/2019 - 2:49 PM

Welcome  Tinitia,  we’re glad you’re here!

While you’re waiting for other replies to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You might want to check out the Fibromyalgia Health Center on Arthritis-health. It has a number of great articles and videos that you might find helpful, including How to Get a Fibromyalgia DiagnosisFoods to Avoid with Fibromyalgia, and How to Create a Fibromyalgia-Friendly Diet. I hope you find these resources helpful. 

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Liz

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,633

Tinitia

I have had Fibro for 30 yrs. and being hungry all the time is not one of my side effects. I wish it were, it's just the opposite. When I have a flareup, which is painful, I do not eat.

But everyone is different because of their metabolism. I know mine is very high.

Take care and keep us posted.

I also wanted to add that my doctor told me to eat foods that are high in lean protein and fiber, vegetables and grains. These foods will help with the energy level. 

• advertisement
  • I have been better at controlling my hunger but I don't think it is related to my fibromyalgia. Luckily, my doctor caught on quickly with this diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I was on Topamax for a few months for binge eating. Just after increasing to a dose of 125 mg, I presented with symptoms of low magnesium which is typical for higher doses of Topamax. I started taking magnesium twice a day. It helped somewhat. I went back to the doctor and he said that I had fibromyalgia. I am so happy that I didn't have to go through the whole spending a ton of time and money trying to figure what this was. He put me on 300 mg of Gabapentin three times daily for two weeks and it helped and I asked him to raise it and he doubled it to 600mg three times daily. He also has me supplementing this with magnesium since it aids in muscle function. I am feeling much better. It's not over yet but I feel like I can function again! Thank you guys for answering my questions. It has been quite helpful!

Tinitia

Tinitia

Thank you for the update! I am glad your doctor caught on quickly as Fibro can have so many different side effects. My doctor had always told me I was hard to treat, what is it, the Fibro or something else.

Take care and we hope to hear from you again.

Sandra

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.