advertisement
advertisement

3 Level ALIF Anyone?

I have been recommended for 3 level ALIF L3-S1.  I have not seen anyone with 3 levels.  The surgeons think it should be fine, but sounds scary since I see mixed reviews on similar surgeries.  My problem is that I may be getting cauda equina syndrome, which would force me into emergency surgery.  

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,797

slackback

If you go to the search at the top right of the page and key in "L3-S1 surgery", scroll down past the ads, there are a couple of older conversations with a lot of replies regarding this. This is for reading only and not replying as they are older.
    While you are waiting for other members to reply, I will try to find you some more information.

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• I have three levels fused, L3-L5, mine was posterior though, so far so good, my movement was not affected very much at all. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• advertisement
  • Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 245
    edited 09/19/2019 - 12:52 AM

Slackback

I saw your other post also.   With developing cauda equina syndrome you have to have surgery to repair that, correct?  (Ie you have no choice)

I also had a difficult time finding other L3-S1 experiences. I had ALIF and then PLIF 2 weeks later after spending a frustrating two weeks in unconscionable pain that didn’t abate at all.  Even after the PLIF I had a long and difficult recovery, but as Chip said his experience is much more positive and everyone is different.  While technically I had failed back surgery syndrome since my left side radiculopathy was not corrected by the surgery, having both the ALIF and PLIF did correct most of my lumbar spinal instabilities. I had 4 nerve impingement before my surgery, so 3 out of 4 ain’t bad.  The lasting Neuropathy pain in my legs will just be something I have to deal with.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.    

• Thank you to all the above comments.  I am 56 and have always been very active and still have fairly young kids.  I was wondering about the assurance I was given my be prospective surgeon that I would be able to lift 50 lbs, do heavy yard work, even play with the kids again.  That seems like a stretch.  Not that I can do it today, but wanted to know if anyone has had such a great success.  

Thanks again!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,797

slackback

I had lumbar surgery when I was 60. Very active, fit, still riding my Harley. But after surgery I was very careful not to bend or pick up anything heavy. I've always said "you only have one spine, take care of it".

• advertisement
  • I don't think most of that is out of the question, I would be very careful with 50 pounds though.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Elizabeth_LLREElizabeth_LLR Posts: 12
    edited 10/21/2019 - 11:07 AM

I am one year post ALIF, Xlif and posterior Rod placement.   I am fused L3-S1 and if I had to do it over, I totally would.  It is a ROUGH recovery. I was a full week in the hospital because of the two days of surgical time (alif day one, Xlif and rods day two) and some minor issues iwth low bp.  Over all, I have about 90% mobility back and still gaining.  I can and have lifted 40# boxes recently along with moving 50# sacks of animal feed.  It is NOT a recommended thing for me as I am mid 40's and I am told to keep my back healthy as can be to forstall fusion adjacent segment syndrome.......but I would totally do it again.  

Edited by Sandra, Veritas Health Forum Moderator,  for giving medical advice.

• Slack back,

I was 58 when I had a 5 level lumbar fusion. When surgeons went in, they didn’t expect to do 5 levels but a spinal infection I had a year earlier basically destroyed my spine. Took me one year to recover to be able to have a normal life. That lasted 4 years and the back pain came back, my spine shifted into an S shape. I’m 63 and developed Scoliosis. I live on 40 mgs of Oxycodone a day and have since 2015, and use a cane and walker to get around. I had no options regarding surgery, either have it or live in a wheelchair. I have no surgical options now, no surgeon will touch my back.

Dick

• I appreciate all the feedback.  I had surgery scheduled a while ago and since then (waiting), I have been able to get rid of some discomfort and get back the ability to occasionally lift heavier items.  I am considering a delay.  I have a couple weeks yet and have to make a decision.  I have a very low tolerance for pain meds and will be looking at having to suck it up a lot.  

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.