advertisement
advertisement

Hello I’m new here and in trouble with a pain pump with Fentanal

Ive had 20 different surgeries dealing with my back. I’ve had four stimulators and this is my 2nd pain pump. In order to fill my pump I have to make a 4 hour round trip and I’m just not able to do any longer so I changed to a local pain Dr. and letting this pump run out. My new Dr. called the Medtronic Representative and they only help he offered was to drive back to my old doctor four hours away.  I am 65 years old and live alone and I just cannot make that trip in a long.  When I told the rep my situation he offered no other help and hung up the phone. I have had Hundreds of thousands of dollars of Medtronic devices implanted and I would have thought that they would help me when I needed them! The alarm has been going off for a week and now it has changed tones and going off every 10 minutes. I need help turning this pump to 1/2 the dose to taper off Fentanal. I don’t know how long I’ve got before it runs out but I know it’s not good to stop fentanal cold turkey. Also I have to deal with workers comp and I have been released from my old dr. and if I have to go back it must be approved by WC. and that can take up to a month or better.

If someone knows of a answer for me please reply ASAP!

advertisement

Comments

• The only person I know on here that has a pain pump is Memrainbolt. She may be able to offer you logistical recommendations, but I am pretty sure she can not offer you any advice on how to change your pump settings. I believe that has to be done with the pump representative and or the doctor. I pray that you find a solution to your problem.

Chris

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,925
    edited 09/24/2019 - 11:36 AM

Welcome Blockaidrunner we’re glad you’re here!

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You can also find information about pain pumps on Spine-health.com. All articles are authored by expert health professionals and reviewed by our experienced editorial team. This rigorous editorial process is modeled after that of a medical journal and ensures all of the articles are accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased. I hope you find this information helpful.

Have you tried bypassing the company rep. and calling the company directly to explain your situation, if that doesn't work I would think your new pain doctor would be able to work with you to keep your withdrawls to a minimum. We have another moderator that has a pain pump, I will message her and she may have some ideas.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

Blockaidrunner

I am so sorry you are having to deal with these issues. I do know you cannot change your settings. Only your doctor can do that. I have a pain pump so, if this were my case, I would go to the ER immediately and tell them you are going thru withdrawals.
    I'm sure someone at the hospital would then help you out regarding your pump and refills. Hospitals have patient advocates which do this. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Please feel free to contact me.

Good luck and take care. Please keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.