advertisement
advertisement

Guess who is getting a pain pump???

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with trying to get my pain under control since early 2016. Had four levels of lumbar fusion with decompression. Laminectomy between my shoulders for SCS leads, etc. Last Friday my PM doctor pretty much told me that I am out of options, and that he recommends a pain pump to control my pain. I know that some people on here have them. Such as my Guardian Angel Memrainbolt. Can anyone give me any feedback on their experiences with their pump implants, and if I should actually agree to this or not? The one thing I do really like about it is the fact that I will only have to go to the doctor every three months instead of every month for my meds. Plus I can avoid all the pharmacy trips etc. And they also told me that side effects are considerably less with the pump vs being on pills. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments. I thank you all in advance.

Chris

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

Chris

Thank you, your sweet comment made my heart smile. I'm sorry your pain has come down to this. My doctor had told me the same thing, out of options. I don't have any thing bad to say about my pump so I am hoping other members will reply so you can get everyone's experiences, good or bad. I hope you can take this information and ask your doctor a lot of questions and get your concerns answered.

My pump has morphine and the only side effect is when I have the dose raised it makes me really tired for several days. Then I get adjusted again and I'm fine. My catheter is located at T10 so the morphine covers my spine. Instead of taking break thru meds, I have a small remote device called a PTM, personal therapy manager. Mine is set for every 2 hrs., I can get an extra dose if I'm in pain. The only other med I take is Robaxin for muscle spasms. 

The refill is simple. They insert a needle into the port of my pump (only a prick of the skin), pull out anything that is left, and fill it back up. Most of the time I do not know the pump is there. And it was great getting off all of the opioids I was on.

The decision on getting a pump is between you and your doctor. I know before I got mine I came to the forum for the first time looking for answers. The responses were amazing. I hope everything you learn here will help you make that decision.

If you need any more information, please feel free to ask me.
    Sandra

• My PM Doctor said he only uses Fentanyl or Delaudid in the pump. He thinks Morphine will clog the leads. 

• advertisement

Chanright

My PM doctor and my surgeon both told me about the same thing. But only if the doses get real high it can cause granulomas at the tip of the catheter. To be honest, I've been thinking about switching to Dilaudid for better pain control.

• Memrainbolt. I spoke to my Sister last night who is a surgical nurse. She doesn't want me to get a pump. She feels that there are too many risks involved. She told me that as long as the oral meds are working that I should not go to a pump. She said it is a last resort. And the oral meds do work for me. She also told me to ask about transdermal patches. What is your opinion?

Chris

Chris

Me getting a pump was a last resort. The meds were not working and I would have had to be on different, stronger meds and I did not want that. Besides, with every disc ruptured from L1-S1, DDD, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, just to name a few, would take some serious meds. I was on Fentanyl patches, they did not work that well for me. If I had to do it again I would have tried Butran patches, I hear those work really well. 

We have a certain amount of risks, no matter what we do. Before I decided on the pump, I asked my doctor at what level of comfort can you keep me at? To me, that is something you and doctor should discuss. You are the only one that has to comfortable in your decision, no matter what it is.

Sandra  

• advertisement
  • There is that Angelic voice of reason I was looking for. Thank you again Sandra. I am going to have a long talk with him on the 8th of October.

Chris

I put that date on my calendar, thank you.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 291

Chris, any updates on your pain pump implant? I agree with Sandra that going forward with implanting my pain pump was a great decision.

• Not yet. Having my psyche evaluation on the 25th. Thanks for asking. I really hope it works. 

Chris

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 291
    edited 11/11/2019 - 11:15 AM

A psych eval was required before I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted (since removed) but not for my pain pump. My SCS eval was basically did I understand what I was doing. BTW, going to the pump and off the oral meds made a major improvement in my digestive system because the pain med goes directly into the spinal column rather that through your digestive system and my pain pump uses a very small percent of what I required when I was on the oral meds. Good luck with your decision. Jerome

• I had a psyche eval for my stimulator too Jerome. Just wondering why I need another. It is a process.

Chris

• Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.  I decided to join because not everyone on here has a horror story to tell.  My story...I was in a bad car accident in late December 2011.  I was unfortunately the victim of a drunk driver and a head on collision.

I had some pretty bad injuries, hospitalize about a month, nursing home rehab 3 1/2 months.  About 4 years ago everything started catching up with me.  When I saw the drunk driver coming at me I literally stood on my brakes, causing a bad calcanious fracture,

Next was knee replacements, trigger fingers, back pain and fusions, nerve stimulator, nerve ablation. And several other problems.  I have tried everything to manage this chronic pain so now I am at the point of getting a pain pump.  Everything has been approved. Anyone out there have any opinions, please let me know your experiences.  Thanks

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.