advertisement
advertisement

Advice Needed

Hi I'm a long time chronic pain patient. I've had 3 spinal fusions. L3-L4 and L5 are all fused. I have osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, severe nerve damage, edema in both hips and a few more issues going on. I am going to pain management, for 3 years now. And I've been on the same pain medication for that long. There have been some drastic changes in my life and I need some advice on how to ask my pain management dr if he will increase/adjust my pain medication without sounding the wrong way. Any and all advice welcome!! Thank you for taking the time to read this. My appointment is tomorrow, so I'm really hoping someone will help me out with this.

advertisement

Comments

• ChanrightCChanright Posts: 119
    edited 10/11/2019 - 3:51 AM

Just be honest with your Doctor. I realize that some Doctors like mine are a little brash and are not good listeners. In your conversation, pause for a second, look him straight in the eye, and say "you really need to listen to what I have to say". It is your body, your pain, and you need to be your own advocate. I have learned that from some very smart people on this site. Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

Chris

• Coastbella, I agree with Chris! Be honest, and don't let him/her control the conversation, completely anyway. I've found most doctors to be busy and don't listen well. We have to learn to attempt to slow them down a bit by doing exactly what Chris said. And yes please let us know how it goes. 

• advertisement
  • Thank you both for the great advice. And yes, the place I go to is always rush-rush. It's very hard to get them to actually listen to what you need to say. I wrote like a note for him to read..it's kinda long, but it explains my situation. I'm always worried about leaving something out. Does this sound like a good idea? And I will let you know how things go. It's going to be a long struggle of a day today, I've been up since 2:00am in severe pain. Anyway, thank you both again for the advice!

• I wrote an 18 paragraph description of my situation for my Doctor when he first started seeing me. He read half of the first paragraph, and no more. A letter is fine, as long as he actually takes the time to read it. Be ready to back yourself up if he doesn't. My Doctor and I got in a pretty substantial argument when he failed to read, and failed to listen to me. Overall. Just stay calm and make him listen to you and what you have to say.

Chris

• Mine isnt quite 18 paragraphs long, but it's not short either. And I am worried that he won't take the time to read it. I am ready to say everything to him. He can be really hard at times. But I pray that he will do something. I cannot continue to live this way...I just can't. 

• advertisement
  • Just tell him that. In those exact words. You can do this. Have faith in yourself. If you get too much anxiety it will affect your ability to think when you are speaking to him. Try to relax and think things thru. Good luck. And please let us know how it goes.

Chris

• Chris, thank you so much for the boost of confidence! I truly needed that! For some reason I feel intimidated by him. I've never failed a drug test and have always been very compliant. So we'll see how it goes! Thanks again!!

• You are very welcome CoastBella.

• Good morning! I wanted to let y'all know that things went pretty good yesterday at my dr appointment. I talked to the dr about my situation and she is letting me try a different type of pain medication to see if it will help any better than what I was on. The downside of the appointment was she told me with the new law a person is only allowed a certain amount of, I think she said milligrams per day, "I think that what she said"...but anyway...I'm almost to that point. She wants me to try something different to see if it will effect me in a positive way. So I'm happy about that. 

• Very glad it worked out at the appointment. Hope the new meds work as well. 

Chris

• So the other med my dr wanted me to try didn't work and it gave me severe headaches. So I'm back to square one. I'm just going to have to see if she will increase the meds I'm on now. Wish me luck!!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

CoastBella

Good luck!! When I talk to my PM doctor about increases, I let him know I know my body better than he does and I know what will make me comfortable. I might still be in pain, but I'm comfortable.

Good luck!!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.