advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Pain Management Doctor Quit Giving Opiates

Hi,

Hope everyone is feeling good. I have had 8 surgeries. Now have severe Kyphosis, Sciolosis. I am fused from T8 to my pelvis. I have hardware pressing on my Thoracic Spine. Recently, I had a compression FX of T9, this is getting worse I have trouble walking, use a walker.Just fitted for an overhead brace. Have rib & chest wall pain from last surgery.They went in through rib & also the back.  Weaned myself down in August to Morphine 30 mg BId. The PM I had been seeing for 5 years said I would need pain medication for the rest of my life. I was always the most disabled patient in his office. I had a TIA in September & was on Plavix so was unable to get injections. Am 67 & went from 5ft 6inches to 5ft 1inch. Surgeon reluctant to re operate due to Staph sepsis after last surgery.

Pain Management at last appointment said "I am not a Pain Management Doctor", I signed a contract with him 5 years ago. He is no longer giving opiates. He said he would give his patients 3 months of medicine & a list of Pain Management Doctors. At that time, I considered going down to 15mg Morphine for my next 2 months. That was before the FX at T9. I called today to ask them to renew the 30mg & email me the list of PM doctors. They talked to me like I was asking for Heroin. I explained I had a FX Vertebrae & the PM told his patients he would order 3 months of medicine. When I asked for the list of PM, they said, "No one is going to give you anything." This is horrible. I have been compliant for years. I have never tested wrong on a urine test. I am not an addict seeking drugs. I am in horrible pain. My primary doctor does not give out opiates. I use every other method of pain relief I can. I use a moist heating pad, Lidocaine Patches, Physical Therapy, Gabapentin, home exercises. Tens does not help me. This is crazy. I am just going to pray I can get a Pain Management Doctor to help me.

Take care & God Bless, MaryAnne

advertisement

Comments

• Is there a medical university hospital near you? If so I’d call their number and ask for pain management and see if you can get into their pain management program.

Many medical university hospitals have 5-10 pain management doctors.

Sorry this happened. Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Thank you for your response L4 L5, 

My Surgeon referred me to the PM doctor at the University hospital he is with. I was given MM (no vaping, due to TIA). Tried a half of a RSO paste or something a couple nights ago, when I was in extreme pain, but unfortunately, did not touch it. Moist heat helps more. 

University Dr agrees I need Morphine ER 30. He wants cooperative letter from my Primary. I have been calling her office since Oct 7, trying to get a letter sent. Finally went into her office on Fri. She said, he wants her to give it & she does not give opiates. She said she was going to write letter to put me in his care on Friday. Tues, he said, no go. 

Late yesterday, they explained, they have not received anything from my Primary Doctor yet. Primary promised to send something out yesterday. Who knows?  This is not a good situation that legitimate pain patients are being put out in the cold.  In my opinion -  withdrawal, horrible pain, loss of mobility, falls, depression, poor quality of life & early death. Maybe that's what they want. My opinion. To get us off Medicare. 

• advertisement
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 174
    edited 11/14/2019 - 12:45 AM

So horrible.   MaryAnne, see the suggestion I made to Gizmo on the thread above.  

When I was in the rehab place following my back op. I talked to a lot of the people there. Some had been there a long time.  One guy in a wheelchair looked at me and said he too used to be a big muscular guy, 230, like me, worked in a  meat packing plant. He had ---- disease and he was just skin and bone now. He was homeless and lived in a wash now. He was a junkie just because the dope cured his pain. I asked him how he got it. He said it was very easy. He could get it anyplace. I wish I knew how people like MaryAnne and Gizmo could get something themselves to help their pain, and damn the uncaring doctors and the governments' phony "war on drugs" - drugs for pain patients that is!

I get so angry...I'll probably get banned from here.

PS I am a retired officer.  I dealt with criminals on drugs all the time. They had no trouble getting drugs.  Now I want to be a middleman for illegal drugs for pain patients and I don't want to make a penny either!

• I am so angry too. My dr. is pushing me into pain management because he no longer wants to prescribe fioricet and tramadol. Fioricet is not an opiate and I have taken both for years without increasing my dose. In fact I take about 4 tramadol a month and used to take 4 a day for 10 years. I will have to travel 35 miles for pain management so I hope they won’t want to see me more than twice a year. Very frustrating!

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,275
    edited 11/14/2019 - 6:12 PM

@nancyann most pain clinics want to see you every month. If you’re lucky every other month. You also most likely will have to sign a pain contract and submit to random urine screens.

You may want to try a neurologist in your area. My neurologist writes scripts for the medications you’re taking and doesn’t require a contract for the medications you’re taking.

That would beat driving 70 miles roundtrip. However I drive about 70 miles each month for pain management. That’s not too crazy. Many people are forced to drive three hours or more.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 491

This is getting terrible for people, you feel like a ping-pong ball bouncing between doctors and trying to get some satisfaction for the pain. I am so scared that all of a sudden they will just shut my pain meds off. What I have is Myelomalacia at. C 1. C 2  which won’t kill you but will make your life hell, it affects everything. When I Broke my neck 0° weather did not bother me at all for two months and then overnight I started getting cold all the time, my body will not sweat no matter how Hot it gets. Every time I go to a new doctor they are surprised that I am not a quadriplegic. Thank God for that but I am in terrible pain all the time. and muscle spasms are terrible. Take care of Marianne and everyone else God bless everyone. The only way that I can correspond I’m here is because I have voice recognition . That is why at times it sounds gibberish.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.