advertisement
advertisement

I'm so confused

Hey everyone, I'm so confused even after "trying" to ask my pm dr about this. Ok, I went to my pain management appointment yesterday and they gave me my original meds plus they gave me a few (6) new meds to try to see if it helps better than what I'm taking now. I've been going round and round with trying to find something that helps me get through the day better. Anyway, my confusion comes in when they wrote the extra script like.... Take 1/2 - 1 pill a day. What the heck.... I take 4 pills of what I'm originally on. I've been on what they gave me to try quite a while back and it was the same mg as they gave me this time (on the extra script), but I was to take 1 pill every 6 hours. How in the world are they expecting me to get through the day with taking 1/2 - 1 pill a day!! Ugh....I hate having chronic pain! I never knew I was going to wake up one day and never feel better. Like my entire life is in an uproar and I don't know what to do about it! It's making me much more depressed and my anxiety is through the roof! 

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to write all of that, but thank you all for listening to my early morning vent! 

When my dr gets in the office I'm going to try to talk to him once again. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,132

CoastBella

If it were me, I would call my doctor. But first, jsut so you don't leave anything out, I would write down what I take and mgs., what the new meds are and mgs., and what does or does not work. I don't know about you but every time I talk to my doctor I always leave something out unless I write it down.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thank you for the advice! That's what I'm going to do. I usually have to write everything down as well. I keep little notes throughout the month on my phone, then when it's my appointment time I have everything in order and dont leave anything out. I dont know, I'm getting really disappointed with my Dr. I've had 3 lumbar fusion's. I've got osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, edema in both hips, fibromyalgia and quite a few more issues going on with my body and I've been on the same exact thing and same mg for over 3 years. I've never asked for an increase or change of meds until now. I'm having such a horrible time just to get through my day. And alot has changed in my life, which has added alot more responsibilities on me that I'm not used to, so it's really effecting my body and my life. The only thing my dr has agreed to do is change my meds, to the same equivalent dose as to my original dosage of med. Maybe it will help...I pray it helps, something has to help. My life is almost not worth living as of right now. 

• advertisement

And that may be what you need, just a change in meds. Our bodies get adjusted to the meds we take and sometime, after a while, they just don't work as good. But throw in your notes your personal life and how the pain has effected it.

I have a lot of the same issues you do. But add in ruptured disc from L1-L6, T12 and T11 broken vertebra, DDD, osteo, rheumatoid and scoliosis. It can all be so overwhelming. My PM doctor sent me to a psychologist over 4 yrs. ago and that was the best thing I ever did. Talking to him about the anxiety, guilt and depression that goes with chronic pain and how to deal with it. Just a thought for you.

Good luck and let us know.
    Sandra

• I've actually been going to counseling for over 9 years, and yes it does help. To try to make a long story short, in April of 1994 I was in a tornado. It came right up my driveway and blew our mobile home completely up. It picked me up and threw me about 50 yards from where I was. I fractured my back and 3 ribs, 1 lung collapsed, bruised my spleen and liver. I was in the hospital for a couple months. My back didn't really start bothering me until years later. My 1st lumbar fusion was in 2016, L4-L5 was fused and old scar tissue was removed from where years before I was getting injections to try to ease my back, those didnt help at all. A couple weeks after my surgery I started hurting severely in my lower back and ended up at the er. They did exrays and come to find out a couple of my screws shifted out of place so my surgeon had to go back in and replace all my screws. In Feb of 2019 I had another surgery. L3 and L4 was fused and my surgeon had to revise my previous fusion...so L3-L4 and L5 are all fused together. I've actually got failed back surgery syndrome I believe it's called. Anyway, fast forward to now I'm having more problems and more pain, I understand that the pm drs hands are tied with all these new laws, so I try really hard to not complain to him about his plan of action. But it's getting hard. 

I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. If you ever need or want someone to talk to, please send me a PM, private message. 

And that is why I have a pain pump. Nothing worked anymore and I am not a candidate for surgery. I'm still in pain but I'd hate to think would it would like if I didn't have it.

Take care and I hope you get some relief.
    Sandra

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.