advertisement
advertisement

Got kicked out failed drug test for Suboxone

I have been on pain medication for 12 yrs. my primary Dr had been giving me  Norco 10 so one day he told me he was going to refer me to pain clinic that he couldn't give to me anymore so he did and it all went good found a pain Dr within 2 miles from my house  and he started giving me Percocet 10 been going there for 2 yrs and  I went in April to find out I failed drug test for suboxone I had run out of my Percocet bc I had taken one extra at bedtime for several days so that run me 2days short so that's when I took a piece  of Suboxone and failed drug test and got kicked out  now I'm needing another clinic I have alot of health problems and in alot of pain I can't function without my pain. Meds  I need advice on finding another clinic to take me help please!!!

advertisement

Comments

• Maybe @sandi123 can offer some advice. She’s probably the most articulate person on the forum when it comes to this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, you’ve already seen your primary care doctor previously (who personally did your pain management) so this creates quite a pickle.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,779

Welcome to the forum, Gizmo

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You’ll find a number of informative resources in the Pain Management Health Center.

This is going to make it hard to find another clinic. When you sign a contract with a PM clinic, they expect you to adhere to the rules. This will follow you to the next clinic. All you can do when you find another clinic, is to tell the truth. I would not make the former clinic sound bad, or the doctor, this was your fault and need to tell them that.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sandra Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Hi Gizmo, 

If this occurred in April, where were you obtaining pain meds between then and now? Where did you get suboxone from? Were you dismissed from your primary, or ever fail any urine/compliance testing , before you were sent to pain management?

As far as getting into a new pain management practice goes, you will likely run into some difficulty. You broke three absolute rules in the world of pain management- failed a urine test, self medicated by taking more than you were prescribed, and also took suboxone which was not prescribed by your current PM doctor. Any of the three likely would result in patients being dismissed, but all three together are going to make it very, very difficult to get another doctor willing to prescribe pain meds at this point. 

You may be able to have other methods for treating pain carried out at another practice- referrals for physical therapy, TENS, injections, maybe anti inflammatory meds but the likelihood of opiates is very, very slim. 

We as patients must always keep in mind that if dosages of meds aren’t working, we MUST talk to the dr and get their approval before ever taking an extra dose, otherwise we are risking ongoing treatment. 

I’m sorry you found yourself in this predicament, and hope eventually you can find another provider. 

• My primary and I never had a problem the only reason he stopped giving me my meds was bc the DEA  he was not a pm Dr so he referred me to pain clinic and the Suboxone  came from my son which lives with me and takes the sub in pill form  and this was the only urine test I had ever failed with anybody primary and Pm and as as the pain I have been taking OTC  Aleve for pain and itsnot helping me that's why I'm needing to get back in  pain management. 

• Hi Gizmo, 

Thanks for answering my questions. The reason I asked was because if the suboxone was prescribed to you, it might have been a little easier to get another pm, to explain why you had suboxone in your system. Even though it wasn’t currently prescribed, you would have had a legal reason for having it. 

Unfortunately, taking it from your son makes it illegal and his giving it to you is illegal.  It is a schedule 2 medication. It is subject to the same restrictions as other opiates. 

I am really truly sorry you are in this predicament, but I honestly think you will have a very difficult time finding a new PM or doctor willing to prescribe opiates in any form for a long time. You can try, but you should expect that there will be questions about all of this. There really isn’t a way to frame this without it looking bad. I wish that I could offer better options.  

You could write a letter to your former PM, acknowledging your errors in judgement and offer stricter compliance standards if they would consider reevaluating your dismissal. I can’t guarantee it would work but it may be your best option . 

I really do wish you luck, and again, I’m sorry for the situation you are in. 

• advertisement
  • Hi I understand completely what you are  saying and I did do wrong by taking the Suboxone but I was sick and I take full responsibility my actions but I have never failed a urine test and never  been in no kind of trouble with  primary and I had been in the clinic for 2 yrs and never had a problem I just pray that I can find someone to help me .

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,779

We do hope you get this sorted out. I really wish PM clinics would be more lenient in certain cases.
    Good luck and please keep us updated. 

Sandra

• Gizmo. I too really hope you can find a solution for your situation. I think many can understand being in a position where the meds just aren’t working as well as they once did, and making a decision that winds up costing far more than you expect. 

I too wish there were other options, but until there are, doctors and patients can get caught up in the quagmire of trying to navigate the world of pain management and opiates

• Gizmo,  Look at it this way.  You have learned a valuable lesson and you will never let this happen again.  I would call your family doctor and ask for referrals to a new PM because a referral will be necessary anyway.  Get online and check each one of the possibilities out thru reviews.  You will often find valuable info that way where you might choose one practice over another for many reasons.

When you go to see a new PM be honest with them and start building trust from day one.  If it sees to be a good fit, do everything in your power to follow the rules.  I am praying you find a good one!

Cindy

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 120

This is where the issue is, that even talking to your doctor about medication not working as it should  some just do not care.  Or they are afraid of the regulations on pain meds these days.

That's what happened to me.  I have a pain pump that isn't doing what it should.  I have asked about increasing the dosage or changing it up with a different medication.  You can put just about anything in this pump.  They flat out said there is nothing more we can do for you.  We won't increase the pump or change it to a new one.

Now I am a cash register to them every 2 months when I have to get it refilled.  How stupid is that, then take this thing out of me. 

So I have morphine and bupivicain in my pump.  I am also still on extended release morphine pills.  One every 12 hours.  They help in the morning but they start to lose their effects around lunchtime.  I admit I have taken an extra one here and there but then I'll just take only one the next day to make up for it.

What's funny is they still drug test me which of course the morphine will show up, it's in my pump so that seems to be a waste of time and money.  

We should be able to go to your doctor and say this stuff just isn't working, can we try something else.  There is a test that you can take, referred by Sandra <span>:smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" /></span>, where they will test to see what medication and dosages work with your body.  

***Sandra, I still need to call my primary care doctor to ask for it as pain management said they don't do that testing.  Which you would think they would instead of doing all of this guessing.  However, that would mean less money for the doctor because their patients wouldn't need to come in the office as much if they were prescribed the right medication.***

It's all about the money for the doctor, insurance company and pharmaceutical companies.  We are just their guinea pigs doing what they tell us to do.  Sometimes I wish that the US would be more like Canada and their healthcare system.

Sorry for going on so off topic Gizmo.  I just get so frustrated with our health care.  Sandi mentioned writing them a letter which couldn't hurt or see if they can keep you on without pain meds to build that trust again.

I wish you good luck.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.