advertisement
advertisement

May, 2020 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in May, 2020

advertisement

Comments

• I apologize that I keep posting in the wrong group I’m using my cell phone and it’s small to see.

Hello, my name is Susie and I’m being scheduled for ACDF of C4-5 the second or third Tuesday of May.  I am seeing a neuro surgeon on recommendation from my chiropractor who I trust. The surgeon said C3-4 is not as bad as well as C6-S1 so he’s hoping fusing 4-5 will stabilize the others. I have spurs he is going to clean up, as well as some degeneration and arthritis. My spinal cord is compressed pretty good he said.  From what I have read and from the lectures I’ve heard, more surgeries down the road are pretty common with ACDF. I will not be having a cage or using my own graft.  This whole surgery thing concerns me very much as the surgeon told me that if he repaired everything that is needed I wouldn’t be able to turn my head.  I joined this forum because 1. I’m scared and 2. I don’t have anyone around me that even tries to understand my feelings and concerns. I’m concerned about losing independence, I’m afraid I won’t be able to swallow and that I’ll lose my voice, I’m concerned about having to sleep in a recliner because if my lower back hurting. If I don’t sleep I get in a very bad way emotionally and physically. These concerns are legitimate. I’m concerned about nerves being damaged.  I have been told to stop reading so much, stop overreacting, stop being afraid, you don’t need surgery you need shots, you don’t need surgery you need massage.  My surgeon as well as my chiro told me that my situation is not a good one to be trying massage on my neck (shoulders and upper back yes) or injections, especially because the compression is too great. That comment right there made my family Dr yell at me! She treated me awful. I left there crying and with a number to a Dr she nearly demanded I go see to get shots  I tried explaining to her that my MRI showed the compression to be in a way that injections would not be safe. I told her I have been seeing a chiro for over 10 years with this as well as going to pt with no success. I never discussed it with her because I thought it was just an alignment issue the chiro was helping.  She kept shaking her head no that I needed to let this other Dr tell me that. This other Dr does shots, that’s it. My insurance immediately approved the request for ACDF.  The family Dr said no way... you have to get shots first.  I was a mess when I left her office it was so uncalled for  because she is a family Dr not a Neurosurgeon....besides, it’s my decision.  I have seen her for 7-8 years, but I will be looking for another family Dr. All of this pressure on top of the whole Covid scare and concerns about my future concerning spinal issues has me stressed. I sure don’t want to have surgery all stressed out. I need to talk all of this out and get some feedback so I can rest my mind about it all. I am a Christian who trusts her God very much and I am in prayer over all of this and I know God does not look bad on me for  wanting knowledge concerning this road I’m going to walk.  I talked to my surgeon about it and he was very kind, but he’s not walked it himself, you know?  I sure could use some input.  I also can’t do pain meds for very long because my bp drops too low.  I had to recover from a Hysterectomy taking extra strength Tylenol. THAT WAS ROUGH!  I know shared a lot, but I need to talk about it.  

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,343

SooBoo, welcome to Surgery Buddies!!

This is where members who will be having surgery get together to talk and trade notes before surgery. We also help each other during recovery. Below are links that may help you and others out.

Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery
    Postoperative Care for Spinal Fusion Surgery,
    Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery
    How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery Video

Surgery is always a big decision, but should always be one that is between you and your doctor. Everyone else can tell you what they think you should do but they do not live your life. We always ask, when it comes to surgery, by waiting, will it cause more damage? I always say, put it in God's hands. He knows what is best and will do what is best.

Hopefully you will other members join soon. If not, you will have Chip and I to talk to. 
    Sandra

• advertisement
  • My MRI is today. We will see what they say. I know the pain has increased and my body feels fatigued over it. The surgeons office said they will call me tomorrow and schedule. I told my husband that if the Hospital will not allow him to stay with me I don’t want to do it.  I may call the Hospital and see what their policies are right now. I imagine I will have to do pre-op all over. We will see.  

SooBoo

Good Luck today with your MRI!! Before you cancel this, you may want to find out how long you are going to have to wait for another surgery date. 

Keep us posted.
    Sandra

• They told me it will be this month. I will let you know if they change it. 

• advertisement
  • I’ve been moved to June 16th. Was told I can have no one even go in with me, stay with me or see me. I’m very upset about that. If things don’t open up a bit more I may cancel it and just deal with the pain. Not happy about all of this at all. I feel they should allow 1 person to be with you. I know how the Hospitals run and it’s not good to have NO family there with any of the patients. Can you imagine the load on those nurses? Short staffed more than likely, with patients who have no family or friends to help them at all? It’s not a good thing for patients or nurses. Why can’t they require the family or friends be tested first? It’s all a huge mess. 

SooBoo

It is a mess. But it is for your safety, your husband's and their's. If they allow one for you then they have to allow one for everyone. Then more people are subject to exposure. Plus, you don't know if they are short staffed for sure. If you can live with the pain, then consider cancelling. But I would find out how long your wait would be. From what I have heard from my doctor, when things start opening up in the next couple of weeks, the virus will hit again in the second wave, what they have been waiting for.

Take care and stay safe.
    Sandra

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.