advertisement
advertisement

ACDF Surgery

celticcceltic Metairie, La. 70001Posts: 43

I had ACDF surgery 3 years ago C4 thru C7.C4-5 and C5-6 didn't fuse completely.My surgeon wants to put 2 rods in the back of my neck from C3 thru C7.Has anyone had this done and has it helped.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,779

celticWhile you’re waiting for a reply to your post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Here’s a great article about ACDF surgery on Spine-health that you might want to check out: ACDF: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. The article outlines what to expect before, during, and after the procedure. I hope you find this information helpful.

Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• We have a few members that have had this surgery, the most recent is Broncofan

Chip

• advertisement
  • Hi Celtic,

I had a non-union, but actually didn't opt for the posterior revision you are talking about.  Instead, I had the original ACDF hardware (Peek cages plus plate) removed and replaced by a new C5-7 ACDF.  It doesn't appear I had a huge benefit from this revision, but that is because it now is pretty clear a lot of my pain is coming from C4/5.  

What my surgeon told me is that the posterior revision has a very high rate of generating a fusion, but it is somewhat more painful as there is disruption to the posterior neck muscles.  

I would ask your surgeon why he wants to include the C3/4 segment - I'm assuming he sees some trouble there, but it will give you a 4 level instead of a 3 level fusion when complete.  

What symptoms are you experiencing - mostly neck pain?  

Best,

Kevin

• celticcceltic Metairie, La. 70001Posts: 43

Thanks for the info.My problem is just constant neck pain.The reason he wants to do 3/4 is because of increased contact on the spinal cord at that level.

• Hi Celtic,

That makes sense - I would suggest that you might want to get one more opinion before proceeding.  Different surgeon's sometimes have a different viewpoint.  I'm also a big believer in asking the surgeon directly what they believe is causing your pain and how much improvement, perhaps as a range of outcomes, you might expect after the surgery.

Kevin

• advertisement
  • celticcceltic Metairie, La. 70001Posts: 43

Kevin thanks I'm going to get a second opinion.And will be asking the surgeon's what they think is causing the pain.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.