advertisement
advertisement

Surgery for tip of rod almost poking through skin

I was 16 when I had two Cotrel-Dubousset rods inserted as part of my scoliosis correction surgery, which was a fusion from T4 - T11. 

Over the years, the tip of one of the rods gradually began poking out. I first experienced this poking as a tiny bump. Then the bump seemed to grow bigger and bigger. Finally, last month the tip broke through the muscle and fat that had been holding it in and now I can distinctly feel the shape of the tip right beneath my skin. I have a slight ache around there but no real pain. And no other part of my rods have moved. The doctors are saying that my lower spine is slowly curving a

My questions are 1) has anyone here also experienced this and if so, what did you do? and 2) has anyone here had surgery for this? I'm scheduled for surgery next month to cut off the tip. It doesn't seem like it will be a big deal surgery -- definitely not as difficult as a revision surgery -- but I haven't been able to find any information about this type of situation or surgery.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,774

runner53, welcome to the forum!!

I have never had this type of surgery but I wanted to take this opportunity to give you some links to articles/videos that may help you out. If you go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in scoliosis revision surgery, scroll down past the ads, there you will find older conversations for reading only. You may also find these helpful.

While you are waiting for other members to reply, below are the links.
     Scoliosis Health Center

Take care and we hope to hear from you soon.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Hi runner53

I was fussed from t9 to s2..my top screw on the right was poking out and I had it removed about 10 months after the surgery, and it was not a big deal..took about a week of being uncomfitable..no biggy... good luck you will be fine

• advertisement
  • Thanks to both of you! 

Sign In or Join Us to comment.