advertisement
advertisement

Lower back pain three months post-op from scoliosis fusion surgery

sillybonesssillybones Posts: 2
edited 11/09/2019 - 2:31 AM in Recovering from Surgery

Hi, I’m healthy 20 year old who, three and a half months ago at the start of August, had spinal fusion surgery from T4 - L1 to correct progressive scoliosis. It was a double/S curve, with my upper spine curving towards the right (56°), and the lower curve towards the left (maybe 40°). I had lower back pain before surgery but it didn’t stop me from doing anything I wanted to do. Maybe I’d have to sit for five minutes if my back was getting too sore, but I was able to continue on with my day like your average person.

Post-op, I’ve been recovering well. Back to driving. I’m able to go out for average two - four hours if I need to. However, after a while of standing up/walking/sitting, I get an aching soreness across my lower back which often has me lying down. I also get an aching spot in the left of my lower back near the back of my hip bone (this general area was quite sensitive in the early weeks but it eased off). I’ve tried heat packs, pain-relieving gel, paracetamol and nurofen, but whenever I get back up, the pain eventually comes back.

I’ve been going to the gym a few times a week and do brisk walking on the treadmill and ride the stationary bike which I’ve found seems to ease some of the pain at the time. I do suspect that I need to strengthen my core and lower back when I can which I’m hoping will ease this pain in the long-term.

Just a bit paranoid that this might be permanent, but perhaps it’s a bit too early to declare that. It's just so persistent and annoying. Really just want to know if this is normal and if anyone else has experienced similar?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,774

sillybones, welcome to the forum!!

You sound like you are doing really good!! I have scoliosis but I am not a candidate for surgery. But we have other members that have and should be replying soon.

While you are waiting for other members to reply, blow is a link that may help you out.
    https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/scoliosis-surgery-recovery-3-months-post-operation-and-beyond

Take care and please keep us posted on your progress. 

Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• sillybones

I know it doesn't seem like it, but 3 1/2 months after such a serious surgery is still very early in the recovery process, after my fusion surgeries my surgeon has always told me to give it a year, after that you will have a pretty good idea of where you are at.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• advertisement
  • Thanks Sandra, and that's reassuring to hear, Chip.

Thought I may as well mention that I took some Panadol and Nurofen yesterday (haven't much lately) and it actually did help with my lower back pain. So I can get some relief :) Don’t really want to rely on medication too much, but I’ll take it if I need it, especially if it's still early days in my recovery.

• Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 240
    edited 11/10/2019 - 10:06 PM

Hey Sillybones, you’re my new hero. 3.5 months after that major of a surgery and you’re at the gym and taking OTC pain relievers only, good for you!   My surgeon said it could be two years before I know where I am after L3-S1 fusion, but I’m a lot older...ahhh to have youth.  Keep up the good work but a word of caution, don’t over do, especially during the next x months until you are fully healed.  

Joel

• Sillybones - you sound like you are doing fantastic.  I have a 10 level fusion (T9 - S1) due to a fast moving curve found at age 58.  My surgery was 3 years ago and still to this day I'll notice something that seemed to be painful a few months ago is no longer there.  My reaction is always hmm, when did that happen?  Recovery from this surgery is definitely a marathon, not a sprint.  You make great strides in improvements at first and then settle in to incremental, almost imperceptible, changes in your healing.  Eventually things get back to normal or what I refer to as my new normal.  Just think of what your muscles have been put through during the surgical re-positioning of your spine, and now you are asking them to hold you upright and support your spine in a vertical position.  Sometimes they rebel but they'll settle down as they get stronger.  Kind of like any muscle that is being asked to do something more than it is used to.  Again, you sound like you are making awesome progress.  Cheers and continued good healing to you!

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.