advertisement
advertisement

Tramadol HCL 50mg.

Does anyone know how to make this pain med. more effective.

Tips after meals or on empty stomach. just have to get to Thursday .Increasing dosage not an option.

Thanks in advance!!

Fast Blue

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

FastBlue

I took Tramadol (Ultram) for years as a mild pain reliever. Like most meds, I always eat something before I take them, unless specified otherwise by your doctor.

I do not take it anymore as I have a pain pump.

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 165

I always eat a little something before taking it too. Something odd i found and that is that smaller doses seemed to work better on me than larger. I'm a pretty big guy but i broke the 50mg tab in half to make it 25.  Less chance of making me sick that way too. But it really didn't do anything until i took a second one about 3 hours later. Then it helped. Now, as i had a big back op. 3 1/2 weeks ago, they have prescribed oxycodone. I think that the tramadol worked better.

• advertisement
  • I have taken tramadol for years on and off. The less often you take it the better it works. I took 4 tram 50mg a day for 10 years, for chronic migraines and low back and neck pain. Some days I didn’t have as much pain but there was a withdrawal factor. When I realized this I weaned off verrrry slowly. It was rough. I stayed off for 2 years and take only one pill when my pain is really bad and I am not able to rest. This is more effective than daily use. I take Advil and fioricet daily. I am trying to cope with less meds but my pain keeps me home most of the time. My next step is pain management. Be careful with tramadol but I know we have to take what works best.. 1 tramadol with 1 Advil is how I take it now.

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 165

"I take Advil and fioricet daily. "

I didn't know about fioricet and advil. I looked it up and fioricet is "Butalbital-Acetaminophen-Caff". I don't know what the first one is for. Is fioricet a prescription drug?

But here's a different advil combo that i found effective. What happened was a doctor gave me a sample pack of something called Duexis which i found effective, but then i found that it is not covered by my insurance and costs a ridiculous nearly $100 a pill. BUT it is actually a very simple formula. You can find out what it is made of online, nothing but advil and famotidine.  Both of those are readily available OTC and very inexpensive.  The Duexis proportions are online.

• I've taken Tramadol for years. I add Tylenol 650 mg. The chemical in Tylenol make the Tram more effective. It's the ONLY thing that even touches my nerve pain in legs!

• advertisement
  • Fioricet is mostly prescribed for headaches. I get migraines and headaches from neck problems. Butalbital is a mild barbiturate and the caffeine helps it to work faster. It’s a prescription that’s been around a long time. I had a really bad day today. My back and neck were hurting all day. The fioricet helped a bit with my neck and I finally took a tramadol with my second dose. This made it bearable so I could rest all day. I really need better pain meds. I take famotidine every time I take advil to help my stomach. 

• I have had migraines for more than 20 years and the first 10 I took Fiorcet.  It was a godsend to me for many years and very safe to take.  I have never taken Tramadol but my Mom takes it.  They didn't tell her about withdrawals so she called me when she quit taking it for a few days and I explained what was happening.  I told her to call her doctors office and let them know what was going on.

I think there is alot of confusion about Tramadol.  My SIL is an RN and she did not think Tramadol was a narcotic.  Online it says it definitely is.  So I guess she was wrong.  My husband has taken it in the past and thought it worked OK but not compared to Hydrocodone.

Cindy

• Hello, I have been on Tramadol for over 12 years. In the beginning I was taking the Tylenol/Tramadol 50 mg every 4 to 6 hrs. Over the years I learned that Tramadol is addictive and causes problems and that, although doctors keep saying it is safe, they have no idea what it's long-term effect is. I asked to be taken off of the Tylenol/Tramadol combo because I was having Euphoric feelings, a fake happiness from taking so much Tramadol. ( I am sensitive to meds and docs always over-prescribe for me, and I usually take half what they tell me to take.)

I backed off the new prescript of just Tramadol and weaned myself down to 1 every 8 to 10 hrs. I was okay for a few years but the Tramadol became less effective and I started adding advil and Tylenol to stop the pain. No way was I going back on Tramadol every 4 to 6. I had other side effects: bloating and hard gut, serious constipation, fogginess and couldn't concentrate, etc.

I went to another Rheumie for a second opinion. He said I had been misdiagnosed 12 years ago and do not have psoriatic arthritis. He suggested fibro, but wasn't sure and cut me loose. Still in pain, so now I am seeing a Chiro and he agreed I needed to get off the Tramadol. His therapy has gotten rid of my numb hands and shoulder issues. But I still have daily pain around my sacroiliac joint area that causes foot pain, stiffness and exploding pain in my lower back at night that keeps me up. I take naps; I don't sleep.

I have finally, slowly weaned myself off of Tramadol. I cough and sneeze all the time which may be withdrawal issues.

I will keep you posted if the Chiro fixes my hip area or at least helps me to get my sleep back. I really DO NOT want to go back on a synthetic opiod again which messes me up mentally and physically over time. But I also recognize that I can't take 4 or 5 advil all the time to control pain. 

Tramadol isn't as great as doctors make it out to be and they don't really know what the long-term effects are. For example, while I was on Tramadol I would suffer from crawling weirdness down both legs that kept me up all night. That has gone away now that I am off Tramadol.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.