advertisement
advertisement

pain pump and breakthrough pain

i have an implanted pain pump i have had it for the past 4 yrs. it is wonderful for my lower back and sciatica pain but i also have arthritis in my spine hand and wrists. i have been a barber for 39 yrs. i was just recently let go from a hob i have worked at since 1984. i was let go for missing work and also for not being able to preform my duties. i went on to get my pump refilled and spoke to the Dr. about the issues i waa having. i told him i get hurting in the areas i have fibromyalgia and arthritis to the point of throwing up. 

i get the fact that there is a huge problem with opioids in our country but i cant keep going on like this. Im not trying to get high, but if it weren't for the fact fact that i promised my dad i would stay with my mom and make sure she is ok before he passed away i would be homeless right now. i was able to get a new job but the barbershop has only been open a month and i have went from making $200 to $300 a day to doing 4 or 5 haircuts if im lucky. i need something for breakthrough pain before bbn i lose this job  as well. the only thing he said he could trt was doubling my dose of gabapentin. please help do they not prescribe any oral pain meds if you have a pump?

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome taz we’re glad you’re here!

Have you been checked by a rheumotoligist? There are a lot of options when it comes to the treatment of arthritis that are not opioid based.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You’ll find a number of informative resources in the Pain Management Health Center on Spine-health, including doctor-authored articles about Cold Laser TherapyElectrotherapyNerve Blocks, and Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS). I hope you find these resources helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,471

taz

Chip had a very good point about seeing a rheumatologist. He/she can work with your pain management doctor to get you some relief.  But since you have a pump, it may also depend on what is in your pump and the dose.

I have a pain pump with morphine. Because mine is a high dose, I cannot take opioids as a break through med because of the amount of morphine that does seep in my system. I also have RA and osteo and about all I take is Tylenol and Advil.

I would talk to both of my doctors and see what your options are.

Please keep us update on what you find out. If you have any more questions please let me know

Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 326

I too have a pain pump and am not prescribed oral meds. However, I do have a device that enables me to give myself additional pain meds every four hours. Do you have this device? If not it may be possible to obtain one.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,471

Jerome

I also have this device, a PTM, but mine is set at every 2 hrs. At my next refill in Jan., we are adding bupivacaine to my pump. I'm tired of being in pain all of the time, have to try something different.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.