advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Camping after surgery, anyone?

Hi there, it's been 2 years since I had a discectomy (L4-L5) and a rhizotomy. Traveling is really hard to me. I want to know if there is anyone who had a similar surgery who tried camping. Was it ok? Can anyone share your experience and what advices can you give to someone who wants to go camping and have a serious back problem?

advertisement

Comments

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 175

A really good air mattress is what I would recommend.  I have had 4 back surgeries and as long as I have a good air mattress I am fine.

Though I just had a camp out with my 5 year old son this weekend and it was rough.  I didn't have the air mattress, we just put a ton of blankets down.  Then we built a fort to sleep in.

I was in pain the next morning and stiff all over.  But it was worth the pain seeing my son smile while we were playing ij the fort was well worth the pain.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 328

Okay, I just had to comment. My wife loves camping but after spending 20 years in the Marine Corps and doing lots of "camping," my idea of camping is a Holiday Inn or, if I really want to go rough, a Motel 6. Sorry, I know this doesn't respond to your question but I simply had to be goofy about the topic! Apologies, Jerome :)

• advertisement
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 174
    edited 11/19/2019 - 9:28 PM

"A really good air mattress is what I would recommend. "

Thermarests (semi-inflatables) are great. A big thick one, or even better on on top of another, is more comfortable than most big bed mattresses with the extra benefit that you can make them as hard or soft as you like.  I've used them for many years.  I don't know if they're still as good as they used to be, though.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.