advertisement
advertisement

Inpatient Treatment

Does anyone know of an inpatient chronic pain treatment program? Extra points if it’s in Texas! Double points if it is covered by insurance. I feel like my son needs too many different things addressed, from nutrition to physical therapy to medications/supplements.  We go from doctor to doctor, each with their own specialty, and no one is coordinating anything with anyone else. Except me. And I feel woefully inadequate. We seem to be throwing random rocks in the direction of his back with no results in 12 years.  Add to that the fact that my son is now 26 and really wanting to get on with life without having his mom in his business all the time. Can’t blame him! So what I’m really looking for is a place where he could go to learn how to manage his pain in the best way possible and find the best way to go about living.  I think he needs some time away from home in order to get a better perspective on things. So...anyone know of anything? Every time I google search I seem only to get addiction treatment centers. Thank you all! 

advertisement

Comments

• I would check with assisted living centers. Most are geared toward older foks but there are several on the board for people who have had surgeries and just need some temporary help. Check a few places in your town or close to the doctors he visits. You might also contact one of the main doctors and ask them if they recommend a place close for your situation. They usually have many levels of care in those places and several work off insurance. Good luck with your search. Also my insurance company offers a rep that can look places up that are covered if you want to see if yours has that give them a call.

• Thank you, SpringChicken! I’ll give those a try!

• advertisement
  • I hope it's ok to mention a specific facility but the Mayo Clinic has an inpatient pain management program. At least the one in Rochester, Mn. does. I know there is a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fla. but not sure about Texas. I haven't been to this particular program but a friend has and it's top notch. I know there is a really good out patient program here in Kansas City so if you live in a metropolitan area you might find one that would be helpful if you can't go get into an inpatient. The one here is 4 hours a day for 6 weeks, includes PT and pain management education and medication management. I went to their stress management program and it was very helpful. Please let us know what you find out. 

Joanne 

• That is great information, joanne2! Thank you!!!

• I’m not from Texas but you can also look into teaching hospitals. They are definitely grouped together and are pretty good with insurance.

• advertisement
  • Thank you, Kat76! I definitely will look into this! 

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 158

Have you gone to any pain management clinics?  That would be something I would start with.  They control medication if needed, also can refer him to physical therapy along with seeing a psychologist.  There is just a number of things they provide. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thank you, jbower! 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,137

Icarpenter

How are you and your son doing? 

• Hi memerainbolt! Thank you so much for checking in on us!!! It means a lot. Things are pretty much the same. His pain is significant all day every day. Nothing is helping. He has an appointment with his spine surgeon on the 17th but we don’t have high hopes. The doc has already told us through his nurse that there doesn’t look like there’s anything “correctable” on the MRI or CT. The more I read the more I think the hyper mobility syndrome my son has recently been diagnosed with is the culprit in all of this...the condition underlying all the “unexplained” issues he’s had over the years. It makes sense that his spine is just moving too much and constantly irritating nerves and soft tissue. As soon as we get rid of the inflammation it’s right back the next day. Not sure what to do about it. I’m just so heart broken. If I could find something to help I’d move heaven and earth to do it. But there doesn’t seem to be anything anyone can do for him. Again thank you so much for checking on us. 

How are you, by the way? I hope you had wonderful holidays! 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,137

Icarpenter

Thanks for asking, I'm doing ok. One thing I have a problem with is controlling inflammation. Between the osteo, RA, arthritis and nerves something is always firing up. My doctor has me on an older inflammation medicine called Arthotect. It has a protective coating so it is easy of my stomach and I take one every day. It doesn't stop the inflammation but it keeps the worst at bay. Mayb this info will help.

Take care
    Sandra

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.