advertisement
advertisement

Upcoming Fusion - With a 10mo Old Baby

I’m nervous. But I know I need this fusion. 

I had a 2-level cervical ADR in Dec ‘16 - cannot say enough good things about that surgery. 

However, tragically, only 9mo later someone crashed into my car AGAIN. My (2) lowest thoracic discs were herniated. The surgeon calls them “acute”. He originally wanted to wait a year to see if they’d reabsorb as I was only 32 at the time.

Then I had an unplanned pregnancy halfway into my 1-yr waiting period. 

Now, we are waiting for my daughter to walk before my fusion...But I can hardly even walk... I was just rescheduled with a new much sooner appointment with the surgeon. I think I’ll be begging him to operate. He has agreed I do need a fusion, the question has always been “when”. 

I don’t understand the point of waiting for her to walk so the need for holding her is less - when I can hardly ever hold her NOW as is. I feel it’s just wasting our precious time with her as I’m so miserable. I want to at least be “well” for part of her baby years. 

I’m not sure how I’ll manage the 3-6mo recovery period with a baby. But I just can’t live this way any longer. I’m desperate and becoming depressed. 

My idea is maybe I can have a caregiver through my health insurance. I’ll need much more help because of the baby. More help than my family and my friends can realistically give. 

My (normally sweet) husband slipped up the other night and asked why I don’t mind burdening my family, why won’t I just wait longer. He doesn’t get it. We talked it out, I forgive him. But it’s true that I will need more help somehow. 

Does anyone have experience with using a caregiver service? How does one go about trying to obtain a caregiver through health insurance? 

If anyone has any other advice for me or comments please don’t hesitate. I’ve just applied for disability and we cannot pay our mortgage. My life is becoming a wreck In many ways and I’ll take any advice given. Thx. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

sarag

I am so sorry you are going through so much pain. If it were me, I would start now with the insurance company, what do they pay for. I would also contact the hospital, they can help you find different services. If your insurance does not cover it you may have to hire someone through a service, someone reputable.

Good luck and let us know what you find out and how you are doing.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Because I know what disabling back pain feels like I would never speak to my spouse in such a way as being a burden. That’s adding insult to injury. Nonetheless I’m glad you worked it out. Going forward I hope he’s more understanding.

I hope you have a good personal injury lawyer for your car accident. Herniated thoracic discs are worth more in a settlement because they’re a lot harder to damage (and repair) than cervical or lumbar discs. 

There’s not too many neurosurgeons who do minimally invasive thoracic surgery although there’s a few out there.

I’d be consulting a lawyer and asking what he or she recommends. 

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.