advertisement
advertisement

Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection

I'm going to be getting this done some time soon, I have an office appointment with the doctor to discuss it in a week and a half. I'm just curious what it was like for people who have had it done. I'm also trying to figure out if this is something that your in & out for and if you can drive yourself home. I'm trying to arrange child care & transportation beforehand and I'm not being told anything till my appointment.

advertisement

Comments

• tiggi6 - The restrictions after a cervical epidural steroid injections varies.  I had many cervical injections and ablations over the years and they varied from a few hours to 24 hours.  For me, most of the amount of time restriction was tied to the "numbing agent" used.  From my experience, I doubt that you will be allowed to drive yourself home.  That is a question you need to ask the doctor doing the injection procedure.  For my injection or ablation procedures, all of my doctors gave me a set of instructions at the consultation before the procedure.

• Thanks for your reply stiffneck7 : ) I went to see the doctor who would do it and he explained to me how it's done but nothing else and I didn't ask unfortunately, it was very early in the AM and with the pain I have been dealing with everyday for about 7 months I'm so exhausted all the time and can be forgetful. They haven't scheduled it yet because they were waiting for authorization, that just came I yesterday. 

Since you have had these done, can you tell me about your experiences, if you don't mind? Did it work for you? Did you have to do it several times?

• advertisement
  • tiggi6 - I remember back at one of my first cervical injections, I asked the physiatrist while he was doing set-up for the scheduled  injections if these injections were therapeutic or diagnostic?  He replied, "Yes".  He is known to have a dry sense of humor, so I quizzed him a bit more, to which he replied, "sometimes they are both, sometimes therapeutic or diagnostic and sometimes neither. 

I've found over many years of injections and ablations, most of mine were neither.  I didn't get much of any relief and didn't really get much of any diagnostic information.  If I had to do it over again, I still would have the injections and ablations.  Even while not getting much of any diagnostic information, they were still diagnostic.  Does that make any sense?

If you still have addition questions, please let me know....

• I had my 1st injection last week.  I was super anxious of course. It was pretty uncomfortable and when he got to the spot that he started the injection a crazy sharp stabbing pain went from that location and down my arm for a couple minutes. After I got home the pain just increased, I got a wicked headache and a feeling of pressure in my neck and between my shoulder blades, that all lasted through the night. the next day I woke up and I was in the usual pain I'm in, so glad it wasn't as bad as the day before. as the day went on my pain decreased and I was pretty excited, I thought it worked. but the minute I got up and started to be active I was back where I started. as of today (5 days post injection) the pain in constant as usual and worse off and on depending on how active I am. I have to go back in 2 weeks for another injection :( I have to get a trial of 3 done because I'm currently on workers comp. In one of my reports they said the purpose of this was to relieve my pain, they already know what's wrong with me and I'm confused as to how these will help out with the other issues (numbness and tingling in arms, plus ridiculous weakness in both arms). I'm definitely not looking forward to more injections, I can barely get by day to day with the pain I was already in, this is just making life miserable. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.