advertisement
advertisement

Cervical spine and tachycardia

Hello. I have a cerical spine condition and have been experiencing sudden episodes of tachicardia. They come on without much warning. I get numbness and tingling in my fingers, pinching/burning sensation in my neck, and my heart rate increases. This is sometimes but not always accompanied by increased blood pressure. 

I have seen several doctors. I have a spine doctor, a cardiologist, and general practitioner who are all great. Tests on my heart show normal rythm, no real concerns with ekg, and I had an echo cardiogram last year that said my heart was healthy. 

How do I get the doctors to work together. 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome SheradenA we’re glad you’re here!

I make sure all my doctors know what other doctors I go to, my spine doctor and rheumotoligist exchange records after every visit, everybody needs to know what the other is doing.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Neck Pain Health Center on Spine-health? It has a comprehensive list of neck pain articles you might find helpful, including Common Causes of Neck PainHome Remedies for Neck Pain and Dizziness, and How to Treat a Stiff Neck.  

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• SheradenA - You have to advocate for yourself.  I hate to say it, but sometimes you must become the squeaky wheel.  I had in some ways a similar situation.  I had known untreated cervical issues, but was being stalled by insurance because they claimed that the neurosurgeon couldn't produce enough diagnostic information to justify another cervical fusion.  I had heart attack symptoms and later had stroke symptoms.  My neurosurgeon, cardiologist, ENT surgeon and PCP used the same electronic medical records system.

If your doctors do NOT share the same medical records system, you have the rights to get a copy of your medical records sent from one doctor to another doctor.  Not knowing the details of your situation, maybe you deserve a second opinion.  Just ideas from my own experience.

• advertisement
  • Sheridan, I had heart symptoms well before having any cervical symptoms. The cardiologist I saw sent me home with a halter monitor which recorded my heart when ever I felt something I pressed a button.  They tried to control my heart rhythm with medication but ended up in the ER one night when I felt my heart racing and skipping beats. I had a heart ablation where they burned 2 spots on my heart muscle where they foundshort circuits in the electrical signal. I had that procedure in 2004 and only experienced tachycardia a couple of times since. 

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 473

I had the same issue after I broke my neck six years ago, blood pressure would go high, and heart rate would go up, my doctor said it was due to anxiety,I remember one time I are ice cream and it happened. Have you had a problem with anxiety? Hope you figure it out.

• Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 175

I have also had heart problems since my neck injury five years ago. Orthostatic tachycardia, arrhythmia, etc. No real reason has been found for it but it could be due to some sort of autonomic dysfunction in my case due to the spinal cord itself being injured at neck level. I’m not a doctor so I can’t really tell you what it could be in your case. Definitely keep pressing the issue - heart issues are nothing to sneeze at. Absolutely make sure everyone is on the same page with records (pun semi-unintentional) 

• advertisement
  • I have heat fluttering since I acquired a C8 herniated disc and wonder why. I know the nerves from this region run to the upper limbs and to chest muscles though.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.