advertisement
advertisement

Facet joint injections

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with facet joint injections causing a significant flare up in their sciatica?

I had injections at l4/5 and l5/s1 last week and within a couple of hours the pain in my leg skyrocketed. It's been pretty unbearable in the last 4 days. 

I haven't been able to find much online or in the paperwork from my dr that suggests this is a common reaction. But I also can't find anything that makes me think I should be worried.

I've got SI joint injections booked in for this week and I'm getting really worried about how my body will react. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,964

trce

I have had several facet and SI joint injections. A few have worked and a few have not. But everyone is different and reacts different to steroids. When I get one that does not work it is usually because there is so much inflammation that one shot will not work. When that happens, and the pain is worse, my doctor will call in a Medrol pack or Prednisone. 

Hopefully, your next round of steroids will work. Please keep us posted.
    Sandra

• Thanks for the reply.

A quick update, I had a bad week or leg and back pain then had the SI joint injections which were honestly incredibly traumatic for me. So incredibly painful and once they were over I had a complete emotional break down. I was really shocked at my reaction, I'm not usually an overly emotional person. 

It's been a week now since the SIJ's and 2 weeks since the facet joint injections and I'm feeling pretty lousy still. Very weak and shaky and not a lot of noticeable pain relief.  I'm also having issues with my heart rate shooting up uncontrollably when I go for a walk even though I'm super slow.

It's so frustrating to hope for a few weeks relief to be able to enjoy Christmas with my family and I've ended up feeling worse. I'm pretty ready to give up searching for pain relief or a 'cure' and just accept my back is stuffed and find a way to learn to live with it. I've had 2 Microdiscectomies at different levels and 3 different kinds of injections, 2 years of PT and medications and just seem to end up weaker and more unable to cope with day to day life each time. 

I know compared to so many on this site my back problems are minor and I'm so grateful I'm not worse. I just need to remind myself of the good things I can still have.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,964

trce

I am so sorry this did not work for you. I know how you feel, my SI joint nerve is acting up big time and I cannot have another Medrol Pack or Predisone for at least a month. What helps me some, is my heating pad and stretches

When we go in for hopefully some relief, and get none, it leaves us disappointed. Don't give up, call your doctor and talk to him.
    Good luck,
    Sandra

• Hey trce,

Sorry to hear that things are not going well for you with the injections.  I had two levels of injections in my cervical spine (for C5/6 and C6/7) done about 18 months ago.  When he did the 2nd injection, I had pain through the roof and begged him to stop the procedure.  He pulled out a little and re-positioned the needle and said he must have hit the bone.  I ended up with a bruise the size of a tennis ball on my neck, a lump the size of a marble at the injection site, no pain relief, and all of a sudden had neck pain when my pre-procedure complaints were radiculopathy (arm/shoulder pain, numbness, and weakness).  The neck pain resolved about 2-3 weeks after the procedure, but it did nothing for my original symptoms.   I know each of us have different pain generators and issues in our back, and each of us respond differently to the different procedures available.  I am hoping that you will get back to your pre-procedure self soon.

I find that when I stay positive and hopeful, it keeps me a bit distracted on the pain.  Yes, there are so many things to be thankful for.  But, there are those days when I just want to curl up and cry.  Also, I draw strength from being pro-active and educated.  But, I have to watch the education part because I then fall into the "what if's".  So, today, I am thankful for the friends I have met on this site and the brave men and women on this site that share their stories and their encouragement with one another.  I am thankful for the people who created this site and who keep it populated with current and relevant information.  And, I am especially thankful for those moderators who try to make sure every post has at least one comment.

Hugs to you!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.