advertisement
advertisement

New ,other side, nerve pain post disc replacement?

I am 5 years post ACDF c5/6 and 6 days post disc replacement c6/7. Went in surgery with horrible shoulder blade, rib and trap pain, along with mild right arm nerve pain. 

I came out of surgery with NO back pain! On day 4, I awoke in the middle of the night with an electrical current feeling in my left hand (never before) when I grasped the blankets to move them. Since the, I am feeling pain behind left shoulder blade which is new and more importantly, loss of strength in left hand and many "shocks" when I try to use my grip.

I'd hoped maybe just swelling and would improve,but does not seem to be the case.

I've not found much research about the risk of compressing a nerve on the other side during surgery. Anyone have experience with this?

advertisement

Comments

• Day 6 is extremely early. You’re just a babe in the woods. If you’re concerned I’d call your surgeon. However, I’m guessing they’ll say it takes time for things to settle down. Just IMO.

• Welcome cnaugle we’re glad you’re here!

You are very very early in the recovery process, it is not unusual to have new pain after the nerves start waking up from the surgery, it has happened to me several times. If it were me, I would report it to my surgeon and see what they have to say.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Thank you both very much. I already felt soooo much better at 6 days , compared to my previous fusion, I think I would be happy with that success.  But couldn't help but wonder if this annoying new thing would go away as well and I'd be 100%. Dr called, agreed likely just swelling.  Steroid pack for a week and go from there. One days worth and it's gone so swelling it is..we hope! Can not believe I could literally be pain free!!

• That's good news, prednisone can work wonders, just be careful now that you are feeling better

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Yall were right, it eventually went away! Going to post about a new question though. 

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.