advertisement
advertisement

I may be headed down a different path than I thought.

Hello everyone. Just thought I would give everyone the lowdown on my latest trials and tribulations as a spiney... LOL! My PM Doc gave me a steroid injection last week to try and offer me some relief. As the doc was working on me under the floriscope, he noticed the hardware at my four level fusion site. He said that because I only have hardware on one side of my spine that it could have caused my issues. How many members on here have hardware on one side of their spine vs both sides? Before my fusion surgery my surgeon told me that he was going to put hardware on both sides. When I woke, he only did one. I am an engineer, and it is bad practice to support a vertical compression loaded structure on one side. Did my original surgeon screw me up? I was going to have a pain pump installed soon, but I slammed the brakes on it because my PM wants me to see a neurosurgeon. Now I am all freaked out from the possibility of maybe having revision open back surgery. I dread being cut on again. I had such a rough time with the first surgery. In conclusion.... I would like to hear how many of you had multi level lumbar fusion with supporting hardware on one side. And please, as usual, I would like everyone to chime in and let me know their opinions. I thank you all in advance. I pray you are all as well as you can be.

Chris

advertisement

Comments

• Chris,

I have an L5/S1 fusion done by a neurosurgeon with hardware on both sides. I've never heard of only supporting one side but I'm clueless when it comes to medical procedures. Did your original surgeon tell you why he just did one side? If it were me, I'd gather information on reputable websites and consult another neurosurgeon who I thoroughly vetted. I had moved to a different State before I had the fusion so I looked on Health grades for my area and Googled top rated surgeons and everything I could possibly think of before I scheduled an appointment. You might even contact your previous surgeon to ask some questions, perhaps he/she had a good reason for doing it that way. Just brainstorming here, I sure hope and pray this all turns out well for you! 

Joanne 

• Chris

I have a 3 level lumbar fusion with hardware on both sides, I do know a man that just had a cervical fusion, he only has hardware on 1 side, his surgery was 4 months ago, it has already loosened and he may need a revision.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• advertisement
  • Thank you for your comments Joanne and Chip. I knew it would be you guys to respond first. You are both always there for me. My surgeon never did tell me why he only instrumented one side of my spine. But he did elude to the fact that my bones were amazingly hard. I have been a huge milk drinker my whole life so I guess that's what caused it. I am going to put my neurosurgeon in touch with the surgeon who did my fusion and those two can hash it out as to why he only did one side. I am terrified of a possible revision surgery. Statistically speaking the odds of revision are not good that it will turn out as expected. However. I will muttle through this and hopefully come out with a win for the home team. I pray you guys are as well as you can be.

Chris

• Chris, that sounds like a wise decision to me and I can sure relate, I'd do just about anything to avoid another surgery. I'll sure be praying for a win for team Chris! Also that you get some relief from the injection! We're with you, please keep us posted. 

Joanne 

• I will. Thank you Joanne.

Chris

• advertisement
  • Chris

I had a revision surgery on my lumbar, during that surgery 2 levels were added, it did take a long tio get over, but in the long run it was the right decision for me. I hope you won't need more surgery, but if you do at least you know one of us that it worked out for.

Chip

• Thanks Chip... That is encouraging... I appreciate ya brother.

Chris

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,471

Chris

Is this anterior or posterior? 

• ChanrightCChanright Posts: 120
    edited 12/12/2019 - 11:28 AM

I am not sure what that means Sandra... LOL! They will be going in thru my back if that makes any sense.

Yes, that's posterior. I am waiting for my grandson to call, he's an engineer for a company that designs and manufactures spine hardware and instrumentation. He's the one that asked. I'll let you know after he calls!!

• That would be wonderful to get some info on the subject from an expert. Thank you Sandra! I pray you are feeling as well as you can.

Chris

Chris

You have to remember not all surgeons are alike in their approaches to help with your spine fusing. The reasoning for all of the hardware is so we can fuse. But sometime the disc above or below the fusion will give way. If they stabilize on both sides, which they should, it's for extra stability while you are fusing. If it's done anterior, the fixation is different. They will use a plate and screws. 

How is your fusion going? Was anything placed dead center for stability? You may not have these answers but it's a start for a good list of questions. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Sandra

• Sandra. I have screws, a rod on my right side, and 2 cages that are small and appear to sit inside the center of my vertibrae

Chris

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.